Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

script to create folder and move footage within AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
pmireckiscript to create folder and move footage within AE
by on Jul 6, 2005 at 8:10:25 am

Hi!
I was wondering whether it is possible to write a script that creates a folder and moves footage into that folder within an After Effects project. I know how to create folders on hard drives etc., but not within After Efeects. I can't seem to find any reference to this in the After Effects 6.5 scripting guide, except for page 122, where it is stated that:

"Methods of the Project object can import footage, can create solids, compositions and folders, and can save changes."

I know how to create comps, solids etc., but just can't create folders or move footage into sub folders of my rootFolder in my AE project. Is this sort of thing only possible with Python and UA? If I it's possible at all I'd rather stick to javascript. Or is Python actually able to control much more aspects of AE than the basic AE javascripts?

Thanks,

Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel MartinezRe: script to create folder and move footage within AE
by on May 24, 2011 at 10:06:33 pm

To move to a folder you'll set the items parentFolder to the target folder.

So if you want to move "Comp 1" to folder "animation" you'll need to set "Comp 1" parentFolder to "animation". Lets say that "Comp 1" is item number 7 in the project and folder "animation" is item 14 in the project.

var compositionToMove = app.project.item(7);
var folderTarget = app.project.item(14);

compositionToMove.parentFolder = folderTarget;

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hugo BenchimolRe: script to create folder and move footage within AE
by on Sep 3, 2012 at 10:14:15 pm

To create folder and move compositions into folder:

var folderTarget = app.project.items.addFolder("folderName");

compositionToMove.parentFolder = folderTarget;

Return to posts index
Reply   Like