Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Carlito ReyesBlurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:29:20 pm

Hello,

I have a problem with my uploads to Youtube right now. My videos, when uploaded to youtube they look very blurry and pixelated when in motion mostly, the more motion the more blurry it gets it seems. I have tested different settings for hours and can't seem to fix it, I have read about 'deblocking filter' to remove artifacts created by compressing. I don't know if I'm on the right track with this.

The process in which I make the video is capturing from an XBOX360 using a HDPVR and then rendering in After effects with the h264 codec. Let me know if I'm on the right path with this and if there are any plugins that can do this. Also lemme know if you want to see the video itself and I'll add you to the list.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 9:53:10 pm

More details will help, but the main problem I see is "rendering h264 from AE". Render from Encoder, use a high bit rate and constant bit rate. YouTube will recompress whatever you upload, so the more info you give initially, the better.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:42:21 pm

As Tudor says, use the YouTube encoding presets from Adobe Media Encoder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlito ReyesRe: Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 28, 2013 at 9:22:16 am

I have tried that too, rendering in lossless settings in AE then Adobe media encoder. Except that I always use VBR 2-pass as I thought it's better for quality and I didn't use 'keyframe distance' as I don't know what that's for. The bit-rate I've been using is about 30MBPS and around 32 for maximum. I don't know if that's considered high or not, but the default youtube 720p setting is at 5MBPS CBR. The recordings taken from the HDPVR are 13.5MPBS whther that is relavant or not ...

I don't know what other information I can give other than showing you the video renders when uploaded. As they all look the same when played in a media player until they go on Youtube it get's very blurry and pixelated when in motion, for instance driving in a car on a game.

Oh also the default Youtube 720p setting in encoder uses VBR 2-pass with 5MPBS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 28, 2013 at 10:08:56 am

Another thing, I use Arcsoft capture module and there are some settings that you can change like low pass filters for luma and chroma, disable bling LEDS etc, but I don't know if this'll help or not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ivan MylesRe: Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:38:32 am

Do you see issues in the AE/AME encoded files, or not until after uploading to YouTube? The symptoms you describe are consistent with starved bitrate. This would be expected on YouTube because uploaded files are transcoded to much lower bitrates. Try uploaded the AME file to Vimeo and compare the results. It might not be perfect, but there should be some improvement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 29, 2013 at 8:21:42 am

Yeah I see issues with those renders too but only when uploaded to Youtube. It's not so bad when viewed in 720p but 360p is really blurry. I had read around a bit and thought maybe it was something to do with compression block artifacts?

I want to get the quality better on Youtube not Vimeo as I don't use that, so It would be irrelevant if the quality was better there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ivan MylesRe: Blurry/Blocky looking video on Youtube
by on Sep 29, 2013 at 3:57:44 pm

[Carlito Reyes] "I want to get the quality better on Youtube not Vimeo as I don't use that, so It would be irrelevant if the quality was better there."

It is part of the troubleshooting process to determine whether the issue is related to YouTube re-compression or other factors.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 29, 2013 at 7:41:22 pm

Ok I have just tested it on Vimeo and it seems exactly the same as on Youtube.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:16:45 am

So what else can be done to make the quality better? I have tried to use some things like remove grain to no avail as they just remove the sharpness.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]