Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nick FogartyAfter Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:53:38 pm

I am using AE CS6 and have been having trouble rendering out recent projects that I have been working on.

The projects have between 50-100 layers and I have been using the camera to move from object to object. I have been using sure target to be precise.

I have tried rendering out projects as both an H.264 and a Quicktime file with H.264 codec, both of these took about the same amount of time. (roughly 12 hours for a 3-4 minute video) I am using a PC with 32 gigs of RAM and 12 cores. I have messed around with the multi-processing settings and have had no luck. When I render I have been using the task manager to see how the computer is performing. Usually it is using 60%-95% of the processing power and about 7 gigs of ram. I have about 24 gigs of ram set aside for AE. I don't know why it is not using the full potential of the machine.

I have tried baking the camera in the sure target plugin and my pc will actually say it failed to do so because it ran out of memory...so i have been rendering without baking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! If any other details are needed please ask, I know this is kind of a rant.
-Nick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doyle LewisRe: After Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:57:46 pm

In my experience you have to bake the camera if using sure target. What is slowing you computer down so bad is not the 100+ layers (don't get me wrong that's probably part of it), but Sure target is expression heavy and weighs down on your comp hard. have you tried baking the camera in sections and switching from baked camera to baked camera?

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick FogartyRe: After Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:18:37 pm

I'll give that a shot! Is it basically setting in and out points?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick FogartyRe: After Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:52:23 pm

Baking the camera into separate cameras has definitely helped speed up AE. However, when I render AE is still only using 10% of the available RAM. I have played with the memory and multiprocessing settings with no luck. Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff KayRe: After Effects optimum render settings; Assistance Needed!
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:05:03 pm

AE's built in encoder is terribly inefficient compared to other options. It takes longer for me to export from AE in H.264 than it does to export RAW from AE and then encode the raw intermediary as H.264 in another encoder.

As far as the RAM goes check this link http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/898109#898111 . The listed "used" value of RAM is not necessarily how much RAM is being used by background processes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]