Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mike Moss10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 5:59:23 am

Hi all,

I have a 10 minute video clip that i have been trying to import into AE, everytime i do so, it only imports 00:2:52:11. It is an AVI file, and if i open it in a video player it plays the whole 10 minutes. I tried importing it into Premiere as well, and it imports the same thing, Only the first 3 minutes. I am using AE CS5.5 (fully licensed), have not seen this problem before. I tried time re-mapping it (although i knew it wasnt gonna work, at this point i was just grasping at straws.) What i did notice is that everytime i import it it has the little Delta symbol next to the duration on the project window.

Anybody know whats going on? The clip is from Camtasia Studio @ 30fps, 46.6 GB. I need the whole 10 min, because there are segments near the end of it that i need to crop out, render, etc.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: 10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:40:09 am

Mike

Make a Composition by dragging the footage into the New Comp icon.

See the Tutorial

"it has the little Delta symbol next to the duration on the project window"

Delta symbol
is just to signify the duration of the clip or footage.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike MossRe: 10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:45:15 am

Hi,

Thanks for responding, but i already know how to do that. :) I been using AE for a couple years now. Let me re-pharse, maybe it will make more sense...

I have a video clip; it is 10 minutes long.

I create a new comp (by dragging said video to the new comp icon). The resulting comp is only 2min 52seconds (the length of the video clip that was imported).

My question:

Why is my 10 minute video clip only 3 minutes in AE?

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:49:09 am

Mike

Interpret your footage and check the Frame Rate.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:50:55 am

Hi,

Thanks again! But already did that, the frame rate is the correct 30fps. ...Just like it is supposed to be.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 8:03:46 am

May the problem is due to TSCC code though it works fine within AE.

Try converting the .avi to a different codec such as .mov.

You can convert existing TSCC AVI videos to use a different codec by placing the AVI on the timeline in Camtasia Studio. Click Produce and share, select Custom Production Settings, choose the AVI format and then click the Video compression button to choose a different codec.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: 10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 3:46:11 pm

[Vishesh Arora] "Try converting the .avi to a different codec such as .mov."

FYI: like an AVI, a Quicktime movie file is a media container.

Within the quicktime container, the file can be compressed in a variety of different codecs: ProRes, DVCPro HD, DNxHD, PNG, Animation, Motion JPEG A and B, just to name a few.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: 10 minute clip only importing the first 3 minutes?
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:38:20 pm

I'm wondering if your media cache is large enough for a 10 minute .avi?

Media Cache info at the bottom of page.

Recent discussion "Half of audio missing when importing .avi" that might have some relevant information.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 4:05:55 pm

[Mike Moss] "Anybody know whats going on? The clip is from Camtasia Studio @ 30fps, 46.6 GB. I need the whole 10 min, because there are segments near the end of it that i need to crop out, render, etc."

You don't say anything about the media container (e.g. AVI, Quicktime) or the codec (e.g. DNxHD, PNG, ProRes). That's crucial in solving your problem.

Another thing to double check: your capture process in Camtasia. Go through it with a fine-toothed comb. You might spot an error that's affecting things down the line.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 4:11:48 pm

Thanks Dave for the add up. I forgot to mention them.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 5:30:41 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. I just went through the camtasia process again, the settings i previously choose where .avi and the codec said "unknown". I tried again with .avi and uncompressed frames - (codec was unknown).

The reason i was using avi, was because i orginally had .mov with H.264, but it crashed half way through the rendering process (in camtasia).

I am trying it again right now, same settings, but a slightly lower resolution to see if that actually works or not. While this is going i will take a look at the Media Cache that was mentioned above.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and with trial and error i am sure i will get it going and find what i did wrong/where the error is.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 5:42:04 pm

Update:

I cleaned the cache like the article instructions said to do. > imported the 10 minute clip > Got same result: 2min 52second clip imported.

However, the newly created .mov (H.264) just finished rendering in Camtasia. Imported it to AE and the whole 10 min. clip played! This was a lowered resolution version. I am going to try with the same settings again, but at the full resolution. Let's see if that works...

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 11:20:05 pm

I don't know if I'd make h.264 files in Camtasia. Not sure about the codecs you can access.

If I was going to make Quicktime movies (with version 7.x and NOT version 10 (aka QTX), I'd take the file size and storage hit for Quicktime's PNG or Photo JPEG codecs. H.264 uses interframe aka long-gop compression, which can cause AE problems. The other two don't.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:05:59 am

Hi Dave,

Correct, the H.264 codec was more or less a test just to see if the full 10 min clip would import correctly. Which it did by the way. Like you said AE has problems with that, which it did also. A lot of frames where corrupted, missing, etc. Lots of blank (red / green) frames, etc.

Since my test did import fully, i am now trying to re-render another one from Camtasia; full res with the Photo-Jpeg codec. Lets see if that works...

:)

Thanks again to Dave & everyone else in the thread!

M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:53:45 am

Looks like it was an issue with the AVI, codec or combination of the two that was rendered from Camtasia during the first go. Once i changed it to something more suitable, QT with Photo-Jpeg, it worked and imported just fine into AE. Funny thing is this was the "first" option i choose when exporting from Camtasia. The reason i changed it was because Camtasia kept crashing during the rendering process.

Either way, it worked this time. Thanks for helping me figure things out!

M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]