Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brian Duffy2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:43:57 am

I've been going crazy trying to find the right keywords for searching how to do this one simple effect.

The text, circles and spoke lines are all separate objects. I parented the text to the small circle and the small circle to the spoke, whose anchor point is at the center of the big circle. This way, I get the rotation I want by changing the rotation value of the spoke, but it's clear that this parenting setup isn't going to work...

How do I make the "shift schedules" circle stay aligned upright as it orbits around?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:08:26 am

Remove all existing parenting structures. Set the small text upright and precomp it together with the small circle. Create a Null and place it at the center of the small circle. Parent the small text nested comp to this Null. Parent the Null to the spoke. Rotate the spoke, as per your original intentions.

Parenting can get tricky with rotations and non-uniform scale values. When facing such situations, use Null Layer to nullify any unwanted side-effects due to rotation and/or non-uniform scale values.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian DuffyRe: 2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:45:30 am

Hi Roland, thanks for the reply!

I followed your instructions, but I still haven't gotten it right.

I took a quick screen capture...

where did I go wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:25:53 am

AccCKK!!! Sorry Brian, my bad - I left out the Expression bit and the requirement to move the nested comp's Anchor Point! Here is the routine again -

1) Select the small circle and small text layers and Precompose them
2) In the resultant nested comp layer, use the Anchor Point Tool to move its Anchor Point to the center of the small circle
3) Move the Null Layer such that its Anchor Point coincides with the Anchor Point of the nested comp.
4) Parent Nested Comp to Null Layer and then Parent Null Layer to spoke layer.
5) Create an Expression for the Nested Comp's rotation property and pick-whip it to the spoke layer's rotation value. Then add *-1, to the end of the Expression script/line. The Expression negates any rotation initiated by the spoke layer.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian DuffyRe: 2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:08:17 am

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the update. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the first thing about expressions, and I'm having trouble understanding step 5.

I really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:49:09 am

Here's a COW Tutorial that covers the use of Expressions and pick-whipping to create Expressions.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:52:23 am

Here's the link - http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/hidden-templates/1#13213

Sorry about leaving it out in the previous post - I'm kinda sucky at multi-tasking today.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:22:06 am

Got it to work! Awesome! You're a lifesaver!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:29:45 pm

I'm glad it's worked out well for you Brian. Hopefully, this exercise will open up new challenges and ideas for you. Don't forget to pop by the COW's Expressions Forum cos it's a goldmine filled with excellent Expressions scripts.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael KennedyRe: 2D orbiting small circles around big circle, keep text in small circles straight
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:28:32 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank You. This post saved the day for me too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]