Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter KlavinsMaking a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 6:48:23 am

Hey guys,
I have a text layer which periodically changes source text throughout a comp. The text is layer-mapped to a Trapcode Forms layer; when the text changes, I want the Forms layer to disperse into a cloud of particles and reassemble into the new text. The problem is, the dispersed cloud of particles radically changes shape and size depending on the source text; it creates a jarring effect where particles suddenly rearrange themselves in mid-dispersion. There seems to be no way to 'fade in' a source text keyframe, which leads to this sudden change. There's also no keyframe for any Layer Maps options in the Form effect...

How do I achieve this? I've been asking myself this for years... or if it's even possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:10:29 pm

Peter

I have used a different way to achieve this animation.

Instead of changing the Source Text, Create Separate text Layers for different texts, Play with the Opacity and then Precomp them.

Now use this layer as Color Map in Form and match the Disperse or any other Property with the opacity of texts.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say:
4858_formtextanimation.zip

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter KlavinsRe: Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 8:02:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Vishesh, but that still doesn't achieve what I'm going for; the different sizes of the text blocks (e.g. four words dissolving to form eight) still make it appear like the particles suddenly switch over in the middle of the transition. Essentially, I want a fixed number of particles to go through different shapes (i.e. text) with a smooth transition between them.
Also, I can't access your example since I only have CS5.5 and it would appear you have CS6.

quick edit: I want something like this video:

. Turns out it's made with Particular...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vishesh AroraRe: Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 6:58:05 am

Peter

Sorry for the CS6 version file.

I got what exactly you were asking.

To eradicate the sudden transition, I have used a solid this time with text and animated its shape. May be this will work.

Here is the example:

4869_formtexttransition2.zip

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter KlavinsRe: Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 7:34:45 am

Thanks :) That's more along the lines of what I was looking for... however, the video I linked in my last post seems to have a completely different method, which I can't seem to figure out. If I can't figure it out then I'll use Vishesh's method, but I'd prefer something like what was in the video...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 28, 2012 at 7:55:37 am

Peter

Right now I am working on some project. But as soon as I will get free, I will try to figure out what exactly it is as I am also thinking to use this coll animation somewhere. Thanks for sharing the link.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew KeaneRe: Making a smooth Source Text transition keyframe for dispersed particles
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 9:48:42 am

Just a wild guess, but if you transform your text into mask paths and animate between the different paths, that might give you a smooth morph between the different text phrases. Since the morph will occur as the particles are at their most dispersed, the change of text shouldn't be so obvious.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]