Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Advanced Parenting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ash CarterAdvanced Parenting
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:06:51 am

bare with me whist i try to explain this the best way.

I have 4 circles which move independently. However i wish to have a line from each circle to the other so as to create a moving rectangle that will morph or whatever according to the way i move the circles independently.

I am wondering if there is a way to parent the points of the rectangle to each of these circles? As what i have tried so far is animating the points which worked fine until i wanted to curve the paths of the rectangle points which you cannot do.

I would love it if there is a way(which im sure there is) to parent each of these points(on the one layer) to different objects so that when you move 1 object(circle) the line point will follow

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Advanced Parenting
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:11:22 am

[Ash Carter] "I have 4 circles which move independently. However i wish to have a line from each circle to the other so as to create a moving rectangle that will morph or whatever according to the way i move the circles independently."

Don't use a rectangle; use the Beam effect [link] to generate the lines between points. You pickwhip the position of the beam start and end points to the positions of your circles, and adjust the other beam parameters to achieve the look of the line.

Search this forum for beam, and you'll see plenty of examples of how to use Beam to connect points with lines.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ash CarterRe: Advanced Parenting
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28:45 am

Thanks... works like a charm, Beam tool FTW!!!

Another question is can you pick whip points of a mask so that a masked shape could follow points?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ash CarterRe: Advanced Parenting
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 4:42:13 am

Thanks... works like a charm, Beam tool FTW!!!

Another question is can you pick whip points of a mask to points?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Advanced Parenting
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:53:21 pm

[Ash Carter] "Another question is can you pick whip points of a mask to points?"

Nope.

If you are familiar with expressions, you might find MaskVertexExpression [link] helpful.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy