Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Working with AFX from G-Raid 2tb

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
George OvcinikovWorking with AFX from G-Raid 2tb
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:55:14 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased a G-Raid 2tb external hard drive to save space when working on my projects.
My footage is on the G-Raid, I import it into after effects and notice that the working process is much slower, and the hard-drive becomes very noisy. It seems to be ok when im editing in FCP, but when in AFX it seems to struggle.

My Question is: Even-though my G-Raid is 7200 RPM, is it too slow for after effects work (mostly color correction)? Is there any danger of damaging the external hard drive by working this way? Am I doing something wrong workflow-wise?

Im really a noob when it comes to external hard drives, so sorry in advance if my question is stupid.

Thank you,

George.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Working with AFX from G-Raid 2tb
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 6:25:16 am

With AE it is always better to work on a local drive. For external solutions you should look for options with a transfer rate better than what a 7200rpm drive can give you.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

George OvcinikovRe: Working with AFX from G-Raid 2tb
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:44:26 pm

Thanks. Is there a chance of damaging my external by using it with AFX?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Working with AFX from G-Raid 2tb
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:16:43 pm

[George Ovcinikov] "I recently purchased a G-Raid 2tb external hard drive to save space when working on my projects. My footage is on the G-Raid, I import it into after effects and notice that the working process is much slower, and the hard-drive becomes very noisy. It seems to be ok when im editing in FCP, but when in AFX it seems to struggle."

What kind of footage are you using?

What kinds of noises are you hearing? Does the enclosure have a fan? Disk access sounds (a very fast "chunking" sound) is fine. Scraping or grinding is bad!

What feels slower, and what does it feel slower in comparison to? After Effects is not built for real time display, so if you're comparing that to FCP, that has nothing to do with the drive; it's just the design of the application.

[George Ovcinikov] "My Question is: Even-though my G-Raid is 7200 RPM, is it too slow for after effects work (mostly color correction)?"

How is the drive connected to your system?

[George Ovcinikov] "Is there any danger of damaging the external hard drive by working this way?"

No.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:22:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Im using ProRes 422 files, usually XML'ed from FCP. The external does have a fan.

The sound is, as you described, like a very fast "chunking", however when working in after effects its much more frequent than in FCP. There is also a beep-like high pitched humming sound.

The workflow seems slower in comparison with the times when I was working from a local hard drive. The filters like denoiser are handled much slower. And the rendering process seems to be slower, with G-Raid emitting high pitched humming and chunking sounds.

Im just wondering whether my workflow of XML'ing from Final Cut to AFX while keeping all of the footage on my external is a proper way to do this.

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Working with AFX from G-Raid 2tb
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:43:42 pm

[George Ovcinikov] "The workflow seems slower in comparison with the times when I was working from a local hard drive. The filters like denoiser are handled much slower. And the rendering process seems to be slower"

Tell us about your computer -- OS, CPU, amount of RAM, version of After Effects, After Effects's Memory & Multiprocessing settings, etc.

What kind of cable connects your G-RAID to your computer?

When you render, if you watch the Activity Monitor (Mac) or the Performance tab of the Task Manager (Win), what is your CPU, RAM, and disk utilization like during a render?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:54:06 pm

I've got an Imac 2.66ghz Code 2 Duo, 5gb of ram, running OS 10.6.8

Im connecting my external through firewire 800.

In after effects, I've got the multi-processing unticked, with ram available for AFX set as 3.5 and for other applications as 1.5, should I enable the multi-processing?

I will try experimenting with the above and also check the activity monitor when rendering.

Thanks,

George

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]