Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Computer restarts during Rendering??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jon SpellsComputer restarts during Rendering??
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:06:45 pm

Hi guys, I built a computer for the first and it works great, until I start rendering large templates. While rendering out projects everything seems fine for a minute or 2 then out of the blue the computer will just turn off then restart itself. I have a Corsair 650w PSU, 32gb of Ram, 3770k(stock clock speed), 3 hdd, GTX 660 TI and the Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard. It renders just fine on smaller projects but really large ones it just turns off then restarts. I was messing around with the multiprocessing and the only way i got it to work was to set CPU's for other applications to 2 or higher. 2 was the lowest I could go.

Has anyone had any similar prooblems?? I believe it might be the power supply but I under the impression that 650w was more than what i would need. Could it be a faulty power supply?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: Computer restarts during Rendering??
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:15:07 am

Follow the steps online to look at blue-screen-of-death logs. I assume from your custom system that you're also running Windows. Windows, by default, doesn't show the error screen when it hits a fatal error; the system will just restart.

From experience, it's usually from bad RAM. Either a bad stick or too high of a clock speed or RAM voltage if you have the ability to customize those settings in BIOS.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon SpellsRe: Computer restarts during Rendering??
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 2:19:03 pm

I actually built a Hackintosh because the current Mac Line up is not that great when it comes to video cards etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: Computer restarts during Rendering??
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 4:02:20 pm

Mac OSX calls them kernel panics, but I don't know how they're logged. Regardless, I would try to look at the RAM settings in your bios. Either setting the clock speed down ever so sightly, or the voltage.

My motherboard, for instance, had the RAM set at 1.5v but it reported it running at 1.515 volts. I had the same issue, anything that was too RAM intensive like After Effects would push my system over the edge. Dropping the voltage setting to 1.475 to account for the .015v overhead that was coming from somewhere fixed the problem immediately.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:36:08 am

@Angelo This has fixed the problem. I found out through the Intel forum. http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1024901#reply_box

They were saying that Ivy Bridge was only designed to run DRAM at 1.5v but mine was set to AUTO and running at 1.536V so i turned it down to 1.450v. Now everything seem to be running fine. I have exported the comp 2 twice now with no problems.

Thanks man. You really save my life here. I was getting tired of crashing during exports.

Also many thanks to the others here with input.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:41:06 am

http://communities.intel.com/thread/30798
This was the link. Sorry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Computer restarts during Rendering??
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:42:41 pm

Might the cause be thermal? How's the temperature inside the machine during render?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy