Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AE. Picture switch will 3D turning.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jonas verhoevenAE. Picture switch will 3D turning.
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:39:13 am

Hello,

Kind of new to AE, so will do my best to explain my question.

I have a round image with on the sides an audio spectrum.
I would like this total to turn 180° around a middle axis. On the other side should be a new picture, but it has the same size as the original one, just a different design.

Any tutorials on how to achieve this? My google and COW searching didn't learn me anything. I must have been searching for the wrong keywords.

I prefer basic tutorials, if possible, as I'm new to Ae.

Kind regards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: AE. Picture switch will 3D turning.
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:24:32 pm

You can do the following:
  • Create a comp using the dimensions of the smaller of the two images by dragging it onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window.
  • Assuming the image is square pixels AND that it's a mostly-horizontal image, match the comp's horizontal resolution to its vertical resolution.
  • Make a comp-sized solid, put it above the image layer, highlight the solid and double-click on the Ellipse tool to make a circle-shaped solid.
  • Use the circle solid as an alpha matte for the image layer. You now have a circular image.
  • Duplicate this comp, rename it & open it.
  • Highlight the image layer in the new comp, find the larger second image in the project window and Opt-drag (Alt-drag Win?) onto the highlighted layer. It replaces the original layer in the new comp, then position & scale to taste.
  • You now have two comps, both circular images, and both the same size.
  • Create another new comp, add both circular image comps to it, and make them 3D layers.
  • Change the z-value of the front layer to -.0.5.
  • Change the z-value of the back layer to + 0.5 AND change the horizontal scale ONLY to -100.
  • Place this 3D comp into your main comp, make it a 3D layer and turn on the Collapse Transformations/Continuously Rasterize switch.
When you animate the Y rotation it will behave as you want it to behave.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jonas verhoevenRe: AE. Picture switch will 3D turning.
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:57:08 pm

pjufff. This is gonna be some things to find out how to do. Gonna be interesting. You don't know any video tutorials?

I can do this too when I want this to happen many times. So from image A to B, pause, B to C, pause ,....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: AE. Picture switch will 3D turning.
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:56:49 pm

I don't know of any video tutorial for it. To do this with multiple images, you can simply determine the TIME at which the image will be edge-on and largely invisible, and make an image change in the appropriate nested comp. If you do this, don't forget to duplicate the solid because a track matte only works on the layer immediately below it.

To do a dissolve if necessary, you can overlap layers, and animate the new layer's opacity from 0 - 100% over a few frames.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jonas verhoevenRe: AE. Picture switch will 3D turning.
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:25:14 pm

Ok thanks. Found out about fading already.

If you come across any tutorials or might have an idea on keywords on how to find these, let me know.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jonas verhoevenRe: AE. Picture switch while 3D turning.
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 2:18:02 pm

Small fault in my title 'will' had to be 'while'

Anyway, decided to try first myself. Solved it.

- Make images 3D objects
- Rotate back image 180° and move it 1 on the z-axis
- Add null-object
- Parent screens to Null-Object
- Rotate nullobject however prefered.(same axis as you rotated the image on)
- Optional: Do this multiple times by adding new pictures.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]