Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Adobe After Effects - Keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jaeson JrakmanAdobe After Effects - Keyframes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:50:21 pm

Hello,

I am working with After Effects and have reviewed the New Boston tutorials but I don't see anything that addresses what I'm looking for.

Essentially, I have an object's position animated with several keyframes. Now sometimes the object moves fast, sometimes slower.

However I don't want a hard start/stop on the keyframe in between different speeds.

I've tried the easy ease, and that slows down the object to a stop, then slowly starts it up again. That's not what I'm looking for. I don't want the object to stop, I just want a smooth transition from one speed to another.

I've tried Rove Across Time, and that seems to equalize the various speeds across time. I don't want that either. I want to maintain the different speeds, just smooth them out a bit over the transitions from one speed to another.

Also Time Remapping isn't what I'm looking for because I don't want anything to go slow motion or fast motion. Rather it's a single object on the screen that goes several different speeds, and I just want the transition from one speed to another to be smoothed over a bit. Like shifting gears.

I've tried the graph editor with no success.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Adobe After Effects - Keyframes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00:13 pm

Get to know the Graph Editor better and you'll be fine. It just takes some experimentation and practice. If you're trying to use the Graph Editor intuitively, this may help:

http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=graph+editor&q=graph...

It contains may options for learning how to use it, so start with the top one. You should know that the Graph Editor hasn't changed Substantially sine it was introduced.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris brettRe: Adobe After Effects - Keyframes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:45:31 pm

Hi Jaeson ..

.... I totally sympathise as I've just spent days on end going though this .. the tutorial that finally gave me what I needed to know is here: --

I would say that although the animation controls work when you get used to them they are pretty clunky and strangely complex...

I would say that the trick is to get the separate values displayed ( as explained in above tutorial ) but even then I would say the controls are fiddly and not easy to make fine tuned adjustments with ( compared to a Flint / Flame interface ) ....

I've probably still got a few things to learn on this but one of the things that bugs me the most is that when I have the separate values displayed and select the one I want to adjust the rest are still displayed as well -- which can make it very hard to see what happening as the zoom function is pretty clunky also...

....... maybe I've missed something so if anyone knows any details that would assist at this end I would very much appreciate it.

Anyway -- this tutorial will probably help quite a bit I think ---

All the best --- chris brett /// uk

========

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jaeson JrakmanRe: Adobe After Effects - Keyframes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:41:00 pm

Working with the graph editor a bit more seems to have done the trick.

Thanks much guys!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]