Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AE Performance issues CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris AboltAE Performance issues CS6
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:55:42 pm

Hello all. Well, got three new mac pro 12 core systems all running 65 - 128gigs of ram with Quadra 4000 GPU cards, up to date drivers, up to date aeCS6 and dedicated 500 gig solid state drives for global cache. Their all set-up according to adobe/Brian Moffet specifications/instructions. And, no we are not working with the ray trace activated in comps.

We have all noticed that performance on some projects is painfully slow. In fact some projects which run fine on an older MacPro with AE CS5.5 creep on the new boxes running CS6. So slo in fact we have had to abort and jump to the older machines to get things done in a timely manner. Simple things like typing text, navigating the GUI and scrubbing the timeline are frustrating. We are not new to mac boxes or After Effects. We have all been using AE since version 4. It also seems like projects with a lot of footage in them or a lot of stills that have higher resolution dpi really seem to bog. Something is definitely wrong here. Soloing doesn't seem to help, reducing resolution doesn't seem to help and have tried about every preference option to free up performance.

If anyone else is experiencing these same issues, I would love to hear about it or possible solutions. The global cache is really nice when all hardware/software is hitting on all cylinders, but something seems a miss. Not getting why there are performance issues on some projects and basic operational uses like text.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Chris

Chris Abolt
Motion designer
Abolt Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian CharlesRe: AE Performance issues CS6
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:24:27 pm

I don't have a solution, just a question and observation. Which OS are you running?

I've stayed with 10.6.8 on my 12 core and CS6 performance is much faster than CS5.5 – and I only have 32 GB of RAM.

I'm experimenting with 10.8 on another machine and its noticeably slower on I/O and disk operations.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris AboltRe: AE Performance issues CS6
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:55:45 pm

I am currently running 10.7.4 on all machines. I am confident that if there's something seriously wrong, it will be addressed in an update soon. For the sake of all the motion designers/compositors out there let's hope so.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]