Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Masking tips?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ashley RipkaMasking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 7:38:23 pm

Okay, so I'm working on a project. I need to key/mask out the bushes behind the hammock. When I zoom in, obviously it gets pixelated and I can't distinguish between the hammock and the bushes. Does anyone have any hints or tips that could help me out?

Thanks,
Ashley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 7:41:25 pm

posting a still image will help us better understand the issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

keith mcgregorRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 7:43:35 pm

It would help us when you explain your problems you post a screenshot so we can see. But I usually use an effect to exaggerate the edges or color to see the separations better just to work on it. Then you just delete the effect.
Hope this helps!
-Keith

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ashley RipkaRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:01:43 pm

I was searching for an effect that exaggerated the edges, but didn't really find one.

Thanks for the help =]

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15:52 pm

Keith gave you good advice- enhance Saturation, crush Levels, display one channel at the time (RGB) - you may have to play around and see what works for various parts of the image.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ashley RipkaRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:48:16 pm

Thanks a lot! I will play around with that and see which works best!

-Ashley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:58:04 pm

Yowza! This is going to take a while. When I zoom in it looks a little soft as well. I tried some masking but as far as a matte I couldn't really pull one as the greens are not uniform. I hope it isn't a long shot cause this would give me a headache. If you only have to do some of the bushes and depending what goes there or how much movement is there then you could get away with fudging it without too many people noticing.
Sorry to not be of much help.
-Keith

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris brettRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:43:36 pm

Hi Keith -

-- as you probably know you cant pull a decent key off absolutely anything and this one looks pretty much impossible to me unless you are trying to replace the bushes with something of similar colour and texture...

....however there is one wee trick I know of thats worth a try ....

You can use this on shots ( maybe like this one ?? ) where there is an essentially static element to a shot that will not key out properly.

Details as below :-

1 ) -- select the frame with the best ref of the awkward subject and get it into photoshop.

2 ) -- take your time doing an amazing cutout that will impress even your mates and will look totally perfect when comped back in....

3 ) -- draw a mask that will completely key out hammock and replace with new background

4 ) -- key nice clean hammock over the top and maybe animate slightly .... and with a bit of luck that will sort it..

Its not always that easy of course - it depends on the shot but as you see there are great advantages to this such as the ability to fiddle with the cutout and get all of the green out of it if the new background is ( say ) red ...

Also things to watch for include matching camera moves and matching grain........

This method might sound a fairly unlikely route to take but I've sorted ( at least ) 2 'impossible' shots with this to a standard good enough for national TV work.

My guess is that if you try and key this the edges will be noisy even if you can get close.....

Personally I would be very nervous of this as a commercial job if I were committed to keying the moving footage and replacing background with something very different ......

Good luck - will be interesting to know how you solve it.

chris brett // uk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:21:41 pm

Hi Chris-
Yeah, I just wanted to see if it could give a good starting point, get some separation and figure out what to roto after that. Your solution sounds pretty good and is definitely worth the effort just to try, let's just hope it's not too windy throughout the shot.
-Beers!
-K

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris brettRe: Masking tips?
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:49:17 pm

PS from chris brett ---

--- on this shot if trying my method you will also need to artwork a patch ( from cloned bark ) to cover section of tre where hammock crosses so that you have a 'clean' tree to key new hammock over .....

---------------------- all the best ------c--

===================================================

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]