Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Composition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erick WilczynskiComposition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 12:39:07 pm

So I created a 400x400 comp with three Trapcode effects: Particular, Shine, & Lux. Lux is causing some glow spill off the edge of my canvas so I would like to increase my composition size.

However when I change the comp to 500x500 I get a weird crop where I only see part of my original canvas. If I try to change it to 1000x1000 then I cannot see any of my work.

I realize that this is inherently silly because I made my comp too small to start with, but I'm wondering why I can't make it larger. I've run into similar problems in Photoshop but I can always expand my canvas.

Thank you in advance for any advice on the subject.

-E
-vimeo.com/36013051 (reel)
-RambozMediaGroup.com (production house)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Composition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 2:52:24 pm

Use the Scale Composition Script that comes with AE to resize your comp. That should take care of the issue. If however, the layer you are applying the effect to is an image limited to 500x500 pixels and you have no option to use a larger version, then precompose the image making sure the precomp is the same size as the final comp and apply effect to that.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Erick WilczynskiRe: Composition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 9:31:33 pm

Thank you all. It makes sense now.

I had wondered about simply changing the size of my solid layer but thought I would consult the more experienced and knowledgeable.

Also I wanted to know so I can work myself out of a silly situation if I find myself there again in the future.

-E
-vimeo.com/36013051 (reel)
-RambozMediaGroup.com (production house)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Composition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:25:28 pm

Simply making the comp size bigger won't help if the layer sizes remain the same. They too should be bigger -- not scaled up, but with more horizontal & vertical resolution -- or you'll see the edge of the layers, which is what you currently see.

Then it's time to go back to tweak the effect settings to taste.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Walter SoykaRe: Composition too small for trapcode effect but increasing the compositoin size ruins trapcode effect
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:18:40 pm

[Erick Wilczynski] "So I created a 400x400 comp with three Trapcode effects: Particular, Shine, & Lux. Lux is causing some glow spill off the edge of my canvas so I would like to increase my composition size. However when I change the comp to 500x500 I get a weird crop where I only see part of my original canvas. If I try to change it to 1000x1000 then I cannot see any of my work. I realize that this is inherently silly because I made my comp too small to start with, but I'm wondering why I can't make it larger. I've run into similar problems in Photoshop but I can always expand my canvas."

Tudor and Dave answered your question -- but I can add a little background as to why this is happening.

Effects like Particular, Shine, and Lux are generally added to solids, and solids have a size that's independent of your comp size. You can create solids at the size of your comp, but you can also create them larger or smaller, and any any aspect ratio you choose.

When you change the size of the comp, it does not automatically change the size of the solids within it, so when you change your 500x500 comp to 1000x1000, the 500x500 solid with Particular remains 500x500.

This behavior is actually the same as in Photoshop -- changing the canvas size does not affect the size of any of the layers in your PSD (except the background layer). The Scale Composition script is somewhat analogous to Photoshop's Image Size command in that it both changes the comp size and scales all the layers to fit.

As Tudor mentioned, the Scale Composition script adjusts both the comp size as well all the elements within it.

You can manually change the size of any solid through its Solid Settings (Ctrl-Shift-Y on PC, Cmd-Shift-Y on Mac, or Layer > Solid Settings) at any time, and there is a button in that dialog box to match the solid's size to the comp size.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter