Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Tracking non video layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Roger BurtonTracking non video layer
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39:30 pm

Am I being a bit slow here, I'm attempting to track a point on my animated globe so that I can stick a place name to it, but the layer isn't in the list of available layers to track, so I guess it's not a movie layer ... so if I precompose it I lose the parenting I've applied ... do I need to render out the layer and import it ? Advice please Roger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

keith mcgregorRe: Tracking non video layer
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:37:16 pm

"but the layer isn't in the list of available layers to track," I don't know if that's something new to cs6 or not but I don't know what you are referring to here.

Just duplicate it so you keep the parenting and use the tracker, not the 3d camera tracker. Double click the layer to load it into the footage layer window and choose window/tracker and track that baby, away you go!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger BurtonRe: Tracking non video layer
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:49:10 pm

Thanks Keith, well I've tried that - duplicated then gone to the tracker window and everything's greyed out but there's a "Motion Source" drop-down if I open it there's a list of all my layers in the comp and they're all greyed out (except a couple of pre-comps) but NOT my .psd layer that I've added the CC Sphere plugin to !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

keith mcgregorRe: Tracking non video layer
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:25:29 pm

Oh, well just pre-render that layer with the sphere movement and use the qt movie to track. Solved!
Hope this helps.
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 26, 2012 at 6:15:42 pm

Yep, thanks Keith that was the conclusion I came to - which of course works but doesn't allow for me updating things "live" without making a render but hey ho - a small price to pay for a good plugin.

Thanks for helping out.

Roger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Tracking non video layer
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:58:36 pm

Here's another way to do it:
  • Make the globe layer a 3D Layer. Remove any scaling and positioning you've done.
  • Make a 3D null. Parent it to the globe layer.
  • Move the GLOBE layer back in 3D space & position as necessary. The 3D null follows.
  • Use the expression pick whip to link the null's animated rotation property to the null's rotation property.
  • Create a 3D text layer. Parent it to the null. The 3D text now rotates around the globe. Use the Orient to Camera command if you want, or just adjust the 3D orientation until it's right.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:13:45 am

Splendid Dave, I'll try that out ... I had thought of doing the text - sort of - that way but didn't like the distortion but the orient towards camera may sort that out.

Roger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tero AhlforsRe: Tracking non video layer
by on Jul 28, 2012 at 8:27:38 am

http://library.creativecow.net/larsen_carl/child_tracking/1
http://library.creativecow.net/larsen_carl/child_tracking2/1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS