Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam FreemanElement 3D
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:43:45 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone had had a good play with VideoCopilot's Element 3D yet? What do people think of it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:43:14 pm

I love Element 3D. It's lightning fast, gives nice-looking renders, has a nice interface, and has about the fastest and easiest beveled text you'll find.

It's a particle array system, not a particle generator (meaning it works more like Trapcode Form than Trapcode Particular). You can easily animate the parameters that drive the particle array. It also allows you to import 3D objects and integrate them into AE scenes.

It's not a 3D modeler. It's not a full-on animation package. It's not a ray-tracer, so it's no good for realistic lighting, shadows, reflections, or refractions. I don't see Element entirely replacing AE's ray tracer, tools like Mettle FF/SSAE or Zaxwerks, or proper 3D applications like C4D.

Element 3D doesn't do it all -- but what it does do, it does very well and very fast. It may not be the only 3D app/plugin in your toolkit, but I think it will quickly become a must-have effect for motion graphics artists.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin SchiresRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:04:48 am

Concerning the shadows, I agree that the fact that Element doesn't have built-in shadows is a bit of a problem as Ambient Occlusion cannot always do the tricks.
I made a script yesterday that creates a shadow caster for a layer with Element under After Effect CS6:

Here's the script (v.1): 4428_elementshadow.jsx.zip
Here is a short tutorial on how to use the v.1 of the script:

1) Create a camera, a room or walls and a directionnal light. Here I also added an Optical Flares layer to have a pretty light:

2) Make sure the renderer is set to Ray-Tracer, that the materials of the room accept shadows and that the light casts them.

3) Add a layer with Element 3D right above the layers for the 3D scene:

4) Select the Element layer and the light and run the script:

5) The shadow should appear:

Now for the features:
- the shadow is linked to the light, so if you move the light, the shadow updates.
- the shadow is built from a depth pass rendered by Element, so the objects closer to the light cast a darker shadow.
- you can create one shadow caster per light

However:
- for the moment this is for directionnal lights only (spot, parallel)
- you can get clipping of the shadow if the light is too close to the object, in this case you need to increase the dimensions of the shadow comp and its layers until the whole object is visible in this comp.
- once the shadow is created, it uses a copy of the Element 3D layer you made. So if you change the settings in Element 3D you need to delete the shadow comp and re-run the script

Do write me if you have any issue and if you spot any bug.

Kevin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin SchiresRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:09:22 am

I already corrected a minor issue, to always download the lastest version please download it from this link: Element Shadow

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jeff walshRe: Element 3D
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:04:21 pm

Here is a example of what we where able to Create with Element. It really is such a amazing a powerful tool.

Jeff Walsh
Motion Graphics Artist/Editor
LionStar Films

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 4:01:19 pm

The name of the game with Element is fast and good looking 3d. Here's an example of an animation that took me a few hours when I barely knew the plugin:

It would have taken me a few days before Element to get this result using various 3d plugins and external 3d software.
The Videocopilot website has some great videos introducing Element.
Like Walter, I do not see Element as a "all in all" 3d plugin, but a must have along with Mettle and Zaxwerks. Best thing for me- it works great with my ATI card, no NVIDIA only here....(I think I will add this to all my posts until Adobe changes the situation).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cassius MarquesRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:38:23 pm

Made this in 15 minutes...while I scrubbed through the beveling tutorials.

the feedback you get for adjustments from it's speed enables you to do a lot with it.

Had little time to really go beyond that at the moment. One thing I miss already is the ability to scale the particles on separate axis.

But overall its awesome

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ange loronRe: Element 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:51:29 am

This is very nice, how do you do the glowing effect around the text?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cassius MarquesRe: Element 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 2:40:01 pm

If I remember right I had two instances of element using the matte shadow option to cut out the front... and I applied the glow effect there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ange loronRe: Element 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 7:28:21 pm

I am just surprised that you managed to have the text in wireframe mode and transparent. I played around with the "force opacity" and the "Dimension - glow + shadow" Effect but somehow I am not happy with the result. It's not as good as yours.
I must admit that I only spent few minutes on it, so I'll try again later but would be nice to have a page full of TIPs and Tricks with Element 3D as so far we only have the few tutorials of Andrew on videocopilot - which are of course amazing - but would like to have some more.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BiederbeckRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 8:31:27 pm

It is a game changer for AE, but not a replacement for a 3d program.
Animating with it is incredibly tedious... As a c4d user, i'll only use it for text when I am not being paid for 3d animation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom DaigonRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:41:19 pm

I agree with Walters evaluation.

While the text is nice. Its animation capabilities are limited.

I like using it as graphics elements to add interest to motion graphic compositions.

Like framing text with a 3D model then using an animated camera to revealing things over time.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64gigs ram
Caligit HD Pro 2 16TB.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bawul LeeRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:21:01 pm

Element 3D is the greatest plug-in for After Effects! For those of you who still have not purchased this great plug-in yet, you can take 15 % off Element 3D and all other Video Copilot products by using promo code VC15 at http://www.cgriver.com/en/332-element-3d.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Francois MaugeRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:25:59 am

Hey, Sam !
I had been waiting for a while for that plugin to come out and when it finally did I bought it first chance I got.
Right away I started playing around with it and with the few models that are shipped with it and the results are truly gratifying. Especially when you take into account the short time it takes to make some really fun stuff !
Plus it's really cheap for such a powerful plugin, which pretty much makes it a must have.

Here are a few examples of what tried over the week since I bought element.

And a couple more with some imported terrain mesh and trying some animated bump normal maps for the water surface...

A fun challenge would be to try to do the opening title of Lost in less than two minutes. I managed to do a pretty close lookalike in 2 minutes and 30 seconds...

-Francois
francoismauge.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric Mc GuireRe: Element 3D
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 2:52:33 pm

I work all the time with After Effects and 3D for motion graphics and advertisement. Element is such a great plugin - powerful and incredibly time saving. Now I set up my 3D scenes in maya, export the objs, and render in AE with Element. It's now a matter of seconds instead of days. I just can't believe this is happening yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex SpildoorenRe: Element 3D
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:32:16 pm

its almost unlimited what we can do with Element 3D,but when i see what you guys made! there was some awesome stuff in there!
i made this a while back, and i still like it. only at the end the forground (logo) doesnt come out the way i wanted it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel DevitaRe: Element 3D
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 4:42:11 pm

My friend and I managed to pull this together using Element 3d. The add-on is amazing. We aren't the best at 3d, but we know the basics. Element 3d makes it so much easier to do the basic stuff that we can get away with in our videos.

Tell me what you think of this...?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]