Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Juan SalvoAE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:13:42 am

Danny Princz and I have been doing a series of tests using various nvidia graphics cards and After Effects new ray trace engine. It yielded some interesting results, particularly considering the possibility of an updated MacPro with a GTX600 series card.

The benchmark itself is a 6:12 render of an animated scene (made by Danny Princz) composed of no external textures, so GPU memory would not be a major factor in performance. CPU usage during renders is negligible, so it seems to be largely or even entirely CUDA processor dependent.

There's a link to the full datasheet at the bottom, but the most interesting finding is in this price to performance chart.

The lower number suggests a lesser value. Higher price/Lower render speed. Take away: don't buy a Quadro 4000 for the mac.

Secondary take away, the 600s are not a friend to CUDA processing. Best to pick up at GTX500 card while you can.

More data here and a full link bellow:

http://bit.ly/KgxLnu

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

Walter SoykaRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:55:59 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Care to add the Quadro 6000 to your test lineup? I've got one in a workstation here that I could run the benchmark project on. I imagine it'd time similarly to the GTX480, since this render seems to be CUDA-only and wouldn't exploit all the RAM.

I've seen others say the Quadros are designed for continuous use, whereas the GTX series is not. Have you encountered any thermal or reliability issues with the GTXs?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Juan SalvoRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 2:49:00 pm

Walter, would love to add the q6000 to the test. Email me at js at JuanSalvo.com and I'll send you a link to the benchmark. I'm really curious to see how it does.

As to the thermal/ reliability issues with the GTX, they do get hot, require good ventilation. I imagine in a case with poor airflow there would be issues with regards to longevity. I've worked with probably a dozen of these cards for 4 years or so now, and have only had one fail, while it was still under warranty. So that's been my experience. I think in the cost benefit analysis the GTX is still the better value, though the 600 series may be changing that intentionally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 1:12:05 pm

Hi Juan, many thanks to yourself and Danny for sharing the info here. Please drop by with updated results when you find it appropriate to do so.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoUpdated!
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 6:45:50 am

I'll do a new post when I have more updates. But we've added a few other cards to the list as you can see in the chart on the first post.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Updated!
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:43:35 pm

Meant to add: Big thanks to Walter Soyka for running the benchmark on the Quadro 6000! Very revealing results. Thank you for sharing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter HolmRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:20:56 am

Thank you for taking the effort to do this and thank you for sharing!

So just to make sure even I understand this right: I can buy the GTX580 for my Mac Pro 5.1 and it will outperform the Quadro 4000 using Adobe After Effects/Premiere Pro CS6? But there won't be any drivers for Mac, or...?

Again, thank you for your time.

Peter Holm
Denmark

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke McFaddenRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 4:21:17 pm

Please someone run this for the 650M! All the benchmarks on the new MBP and rMBP are ignoring the gfx. For those of us wanting to jump ship to the rMBP (I only do part time motion work, so portability is more important than pure power) need some numbers! If you email me the file, I'll get some numbers for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 6:48:41 am

Working on it. Not even sure if cs6 supports the 650m even by force. Will let you know,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 6:44:22 am

The nvidea drivers added support for pc cards on the Mac. The caveat is that boot screen doesn't display. But you can add the card as a secondary card and not connect the GUI display to it and still use it for CUDA, or you can buy a card from macvidcards with efi firmware modded on that allows support durring boot.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark AllenRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:11:25 pm

Thanks for all this information, can I ask a couple more questions.

1. The GTX 570 doesn't have a boot up screen without the macvidcards mod... does that mean I cannot boot up or I just won't see the login screen? Any other functional problems?

2. Could I put a GTX 570 in the same machine with a 5870 or 5770 and a) give each a monitor? or b) if I gave the 5870 or 5770 the display would it still benefit other programs?

My programs of interest are AE, Premiere, FCP (more than premiere), UDK (running on windows), blender (mac)

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave AverdickRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 4:08:49 pm

Juan,
I can't thank you enough for compiling this list comparing these video cards. It was extremely useful to me when deciding which video card to buy to use with AE6's Raytracing feature. I ended up going with the 570 and it is impressive. My render times have gone from close to 20 hours (cpu only) to under an hour.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:40:50 pm

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is adding the GT 650M to the official list of GPUs that can be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. Also added (for Windows) is the GTX 670 and 690. The GTX 680 was added with the last update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dino MuhicRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:19:08 am

Hey Todd thanks a lot for the update

However I don't really get how you come to the conclusion that the 6xx "are not a friend to CUDA processing."

The GTX670 has over twice as many cuda cores and is overall in every hardware test stronger and they produce less heat, use up less energy and are quiter. IMHO a GTX670 should rank much higher than a GTX580.

Dino Muhic - Media Producer
VFX - Motion Graphics - Web-Design - Or just ART
http://www.dinomuhic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:45:42 pm

Dino, you seem to be ascribing something to me that I did not say.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dino MuhicRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:11:11 pm

Darn it, sorry Todd, I confused you with the original OP. I meant Juan Salvo. Creative cow replies are a bit tricky (I saw your post at the top when replying).

However, do you have new benchmarks to compare the GTX6xx series with the GTX5xx series, especially with the new 11.0.2 update?

Thanks a lot

Dino Muhic - Media Producer
VFX - Motion Graphics - Web-Design - Or just ART
http://www.dinomuhic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:15:50 pm

We don't tend to publish comparative benchmark results for other companies' hardware. But I trust Juan and Danny's results. I expect that they'll update their results with some of the more recent cards in time.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Post removed.

Sands ButterworthRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:52:04 am

Hi Juan

I have purchased a Quadra 4000 for Mac & can not get the Raytraced text to work with it.
The text is not visible as soon as you make it a 3D layer. I have installed up to date drivers.
I've attached images of my MacPro set up.
Desperately searching for a solution Nvidia online help did not help. My retailer had sent the card back to the wholesaler & they provided another & still the same issue. What do I do?
Very frustrated
Sands

screenshot2013-02-28at6.16.05pm.png

screenshot2013-02-28at6.14.55pm.png

screenshot2013-02-28at6.12.08pm.png

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kahuna Kahuna KjRe: AE ray trace engine/CUDA GPU performance comparison
by on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:27:36 pm

Just for the record:

CPU: Intel 3770K at 4.7Ghz
GPU: GTX TITAN at 1000Mhz (boost to 1165Mhz)
RAM: 32GB at 2400Mhz

Render time: 3m28s

With GPU at stock 837Mhz
Render time: 3m51s

Regards,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy