Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
guy jonesAfter Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on May 31, 2012 at 4:36:05 am

Hi, well I've just test driven CS6, and yes, it's at least twice as fast using the default settings. So wow. This is a huge upgrade and it's awesome.

I tried enabling 'render multiple frames' and found it a bit slower?! that's weird, but I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to this side of AE. I've got the normal 12gb ram btw.

Has anyone tweaked their CS6 for fastest previews yet? I'd love to hear if you have, thankyou
Guy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:16:15 am

Your questions are all over the floor and you've not provided sufficient system information. There are a few threads from the past 1-3 weeks on the subject which you should visit.

As to your system, we'll need to your the number of cores, RAM, storage type/capacity and GPU specs.

What I can add now is that I'm finding Spacebar playback to be a viable workflow device instead of always using the RAM Preview - sometimes, it's faster, when fewer layers are being viewed.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

guy jonesRe: After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 2:51:45 am

yes, thankyou, my system is: i7-2600 eight core @ 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, 1.8 tb storage and a 3gb ati card.
The strange thing is, I get renders faster when I use '1.5gb oer core' than 3gb per core, that's weird?
I'm far from complaining though, because a 2x increase in render speed is awesome.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 7:56:00 pm

[guy jones] "The strange thing is, I get renders faster when I use '1.5gb oer core' than 3gb per core, that's weird?
"

How many cores and how much RAM have you set aside for AE/PPro/etc in either setup?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

guy jonesRe: After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:00:48 pm

PS. I can't seem to change the 3gb RAM reserved for other applications

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:25:25 pm

At the most basic level, you will be looking at two types of MP setups based on the requirements of your comp -
1) compute-intensive
2) non compute-intensive

Under (1), fewer cores but more RAM per core should provide faster results. Under (2), more cores but with a minimum of .75GB per core is ideal - BUT do take note that Adobe recommends 1.5GB per core as a minimum.

Under both (1) and (2), you should leave sufficient RAM for other processes - 4GB should suffice under normal OS situations. If you're also using a 3D app then of course much more than 4GB will be required. For CS6, Photoshop, PPro, AME, Audition all share a common memory pool.

As to your specific issue right now, I suggest that you set the number of cores to be used to 5 with 2GB per core. This takes up 10GB, leaving you with 6GB for the foreground AE core and other apps. Now set RAM for other apps to 3GB, to leave you with 3GB for AE's foreground process.

If you can, try increasing your available RAM. With more RAM available, you will be able to have different setups, each optimized, for the type of comps you are working with.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:02:36 am

thankyou, that configuration seems to work well. 75gb ram? holy crap, I guess that's what people use for actual realtime HD layered comps!?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:07:47 am

my mistake, it was 0.75

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dj CulverRe: After Effects CS6 - New Software, New Settings? Best settings for fast previews?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:02:50 am

I have been running AE CS6 for about two months now and have been tweaking the settings to get faster render times. Render times are now horrible! Almost 3 hours to render a 1 min 30 sec video. When I first loaded the program, this same video was taking 24 minutes to render. Being the ever persistent "Need for speed" type of guy, I started changing the settings according to research I had done on line. Before I post all of the settings I currently have, I think it is best if I go back to basics and load the default settings and change 1 thing at a time. My question is I have several add-ons such as Red Giant, Video Co-pilot etc... If I set my CS6 preferences to the default settings, do all of these have to be reset as well? Or can you configure these separately?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]