Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Plugin for single color matte / tinting in footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kris KosterPlugin for single color matte / tinting in footage?
by on May 28, 2012 at 1:45:01 pm

Hello clever creatives,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know of a plugin that one can use in After Effects (or anything else) that will isolate a particular colour (color) in footage and create a matte for just that colour?

I've created my footage specifically such that there is one colour that I want to isolate and saturate everything else.

The only way I can think of doing it currently, is going to take quite a while to do. Duplicating my footage on the timeline and rotoscoping the colour out of the top layer and saturating the bottom layer - blurring it into the footage, etc.

For example, let's say it's a London scene and there's a red bus in the shot. I want the surrounding footage to be saturated and the bus to be as it was shot.

Anyone know of an easier way than rotoscoping it?
Thank you for any help offered.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: Plugin for single color matte / tinting in footage?
by on May 28, 2012 at 9:27:57 pm

If the color you want is super consistent, you could use keylight(or any keying software) and choose the color of the red bus to key out. Put a layer below that set the track matte to alpha inverted, that should give you just the bus. Add one more layer below where you crank up the saturation and you have your effect. You might need to blur the top layer a bit to blend the two layers together.

Of course this only really works if the color you are trying to isolate is perfectly consistent, shadows, highlights can all make using this method a real pain. Of course that's why Adobe invented the rotobrush tool.

Good luck,

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Kris KosterRe: Plugin for single color matte / tinting in footage?
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:55:39 am

Thanks for your help, John. In the end, I had to rotoscope it all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]