Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Optimal Workstation for CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Simon RoughanOptimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:07:22 pm

Hi Cattle Herders,

I have the opportunity to suggest to "he who holds the purse-strings", what kind of new workstation to buy.
I work primarily with CS6 creative suite, Cinema 4D R13 Broadcast, and need to keep an Avid Software possibility to open my old Avid projects. It must be a PC because the whole company is based on PCS, and to ask for a Mac would open a big complicated can of worms. I have no predjudices. MAC or PC; Bosch or Makita. Tools are Tools.

Heres what I'm thinking...
A HP Z620 with the new Xeon E5 processors
32 Gigs RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000 Graphics card
2 TB Harddrives, with a mirrored RAID Array.
AJA Kona 3G I/O Card.

But I'm not to sure what the relationship is between the AJA card and the graphics card is. Does the AJA card support or speed up the previewing or rendering times through the computer? Or is it purely for the External Viewing? Is a Quatro 4000 enough? Or should I recommend a 6000? And why?
If anyone has better suggestions, or can comment on what I have proposed, I would love to hear.

Thanks in Advance
Simon

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 21, 2012 at 9:15:48 pm

Take a look at this thread from a few days back - http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1018634 and let us know if you have any other specific Qs.

If money is not an issue then of course go for the Q6000. In the thread, I mentioned about HDs and why SSDs will be an important component in your quest for speed in AE - so, do pay attention to your bootup and cache disks.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 22, 2012 at 11:43:28 am

[Simon Roughan] "Does the AJA card support or speed up the previewing or rendering times through the computer? Or is it purely for the External Viewing?"

It is only for external viewing. The AJA card offers no acceleration.

In fact, it can actually slow down the playback of your RAM previews when previewing to external video and the computer display simultaneously. If this happens to you, turn off the Mirror on computer display option [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon RoughanRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 22, 2012 at 12:18:13 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
After a bit of research, I have the dream machine configured.
That bang you just heard is the manager falling of his chair when he heard what it costs.
Still, when negotiating, aim for the top, and when they bring you down a bit, youre still up there...

HP Z820 Computer
Dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2660 2.30 20MB 1600 8C Processors
128 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 6000 Grafik Card + Tesla C2075 GPU
2 x 1 TB SSD Drives in a RAID Array
Black Magic Intensity Pro I/O Card für External Monitor 10 Bit 4:2:2 HDMI Out.

How does that sound?

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 22, 2012 at 12:37:58 pm

[Simon Roughan] "That bang you just heard is the manager falling of his chair when he heard what it costs."

I almost fell out of my chair, and I don't have to worry about your budget!

[Simon Roughan] "128 GB RAM"

I'd trade up to half of that RAM for an SSD or two -- definitely one dedicated to AE's new Global Performance Cache, and possibly one for boot. I think you'll see a much bigger performance boost from an SSD for the cache than you will from the extra RAM.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 22, 2012 at 2:33:55 pm

I posted the thread last week and after some more research, I leaning towards a geforce GTX 580 over the Quadro. Just doesn't seem to be nearly enough bang for the MUCHO BUCKS that the Quadro's deliver. I'd rather spend the money on more more SSD's.

I'm looking at only 64GB but the same processors and base unit though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 2:51:36 pm

Hi,
yeah I read through your thread too.
I work for a relatively big company, so although they whinge and moan about the price, its not really hurting anybody. The work I do will pay for that machine in 3 weeks, so they shouldn't bang on too much.
I dont have to worry about him (the technical manager)reading this thread either. His english is non-existant. They always go on about the price of hardware. My reply is that we produce TV. If we were a hairdressers, all we would need is a mirror and a pair of scissors. But we are not a hairdressers.
Re: Graphic Card. I know that the config I named is a bit over-board, but like I said above, when I ask for a 6000, and they buy me a 4000, then I'm still happy. But Im going to insist on the Maximus Config. have you seen the demo video? 9 mixed format streams playing realtime, with on the fly colour correction.
I have to pinch myself...I also do quite a bit of cinema 4D work, so the more OOMPH the better.
Thanks for all the input!
Simon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:11:21 pm

Hallelujah!
:-)

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sergio juyakRe: Optimal Workstation for CS6
by on May 27, 2012 at 7:00:29 am

Simon, I'm curious what the price was on your dream machine? I'm looking for a workstation for similar purposes, although I don't know if I can spend as much as you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:55:24 am

Sorry for the late reply, I thought this thread was dead.
I got it for around 12,500 euros (about 16,000 US).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]