Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Using puppet tool on video/film (moving object)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gabriel BergeronUsing puppet tool on video/film (moving object)?
by on May 17, 2012 at 2:06:52 pm

I searched the web and here and couldn't find a definitive answer.

The puppet tool was designed for still objects but can it be used for film as well?
Once the pins are set there aren't any options to track them to the moving object.
Is there a workaround for this?

I would think we would only need to track the footage, then set the pins and link them to the tracking data.

If it really is impossible, anything with a similar approach to the puppet tool to recommend me?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Using puppet tool on video/film (moving object)?
by on May 17, 2012 at 6:09:22 pm

The Positions of the pins can be animated. If you can do a track that generates data for a point, you should be able to enable an expression and pick-whip to it.

But beware: the pin positions are based on the H&V dimensions of the LAYER, and not the comp. If you want everything to match, all layers and the comp must have the same horizontal & vertical size and pixel aspect ratio. And it would probably make life easier to work in square pixels, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gabriel BergeronRe: Using puppet tool on video/film (moving object)?
by on May 17, 2012 at 9:01:30 pm

This is a film stunt and I want to accentuate the effect using something like the puppet tool. I have green screen footage of the subject getting pulled by stunt wires and I want to make subtle changes to the dynamic of the impact.

When you said that the pins can be animated, you meant they could follow the moving subject in its movement? I see no way of doing that right now.

I can animate the pins all I want but when the subject moves it snaps off from the pins because they are fixed in place.

The pins act like the skeleton. You can then animate these pins as joints but the skeleton is fixed in place.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy GallowayRe: Using puppet tool on video/film (moving object)?
by on May 17, 2012 at 9:34:59 pm

Hi mate,

I definitely do not recommend the puppet tool for this but if I was to then I would do the track using the in built tracker or mocha then with an expression apply that data to the pin so you can then also animate it.

I think using the puppet tool on keyed video is an interesting theory and something I may try as an experiment when I get some down time. However, I think you would need to get such an accurate track for your pins and maybe use the duik IK rig as well. Also could be very glitchy and any change in perspective and your about snookered.

I'd recommend using the bezier warp for this job or on impact export a still or create a freeze frame and puppet tool that.

Good luck

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 17, 2012 at 10:20:52 pm

Hi Andy!

I thought about using the bezier warp but I liked the dynamic of the puppet tool and the way it affects the subject.

I'd like to try tracking the "starting" pins on the subject but I don't see how that's possible right now since there seems to be no way to move those original points.

After you create some puppet pins and move them, if you go to Puppet overlay tool or starch tool, you'll see that it shows the original pins (before movement). This is what we want to move but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

Ideas, input?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 18, 2012 at 9:38:16 am

The puppet pin will create the mesh using the alpha channel on the frame you apply it on. There is no way for these pins to automatically move with the position of your video. If you applied tracking created using the in built tracker for these points then the mesh would warp with the video. You would have to apply the tracking data to the position parameter of the pin in the deform drop down. However, this will undoubtedly behave strangely.

If you want to use puppet tool then you really need to create a still at the point of impact and puppet that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 18, 2012 at 6:18:10 pm

This confirms what I thought then...

I ended up creating a new layer for each moving frame and then working with the puppet tool frame by frame that way, resulting in a moving object adjusted with the puppet tool.
It worked quite well.

Thanks Dave and Andy for your answers!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2012 at 4:43:53 pm

Old thread I know so I'm sure you have finished your project now. However, by chance I came across this earlier which may help someone in the future.

http://joshuamosley.com/tutorials/AEmotionTrack/mapPuppet.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]