Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Logo Flourish

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mike CarrierLogo Flourish
by on May 16, 2012 at 2:05:15 pm

Still new to AE, working with a client that wants a logo similar to the one below. I'm looking for an easy way to get the same look. Anyone know of any plugins that can do this? or what method I should use? Thanks.

Logo Flourish

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Logo Flourish
by on May 16, 2012 at 3:13:09 pm

it looks like an animated bevel effect for the initial reveal, and then a linear wipe for the final reveal.

for the first part, i'd try cc glass. for starters try reducing the softness, height and displacement to low positive values and in the shading settings set the ambient to zero. then try animating the light height property from -100 to 50 or so, and animate the light direction too... you might even animate the ambient property.

for the final reveal, use a duplicate of the logo (w/o cc glass) and add the linear wipe effect and aniamte the transition.

you may want the linear wipe layer under the cc glass layer and try setting the cc glass blending mode to add or screen.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CarrierRe: Logo Flourish
by on May 16, 2012 at 3:38:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I played around with CC glass as you suggested. I am unable to get any good results. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Correct me if I am wrong with what is supposed to happen. Setting the ambient to 0 will cause the logo to go black when you move the light below 0. Moving the light will cause a "halo" reflection on the logo. Using that effect you animate a reveal.

My problem seems to be no matter where I place the light height the logo is still 100% visible. For the logo I'm using a PSD layer. Would that create any issues?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin CampRe: Logo Flourish
by on May 16, 2012 at 4:08:37 pm

[Mike Carrier] "Setting the ambient to 0 will cause the logo to go black when you move the light below 0. Moving the light will cause a "halo" reflection on the logo. Using that effect you animate a reveal."

yep, that's the basic idea...

the layer being a psd layer or file shouldn't be an issue. if the layer/file has transparency, then you could try setting the surface property to 'alpha'.

with ambient set to 0 the light moving to -100 should turn the logo black. if you are not compositing on black, then you would want to set the layer's blending mode to add or screen, or use an effect like unmult (free from redgiant.com) to remove the black.

also, if it's the alpha that you can/want to use cc light sweep might work. with that effect, first set the light reception to 'cutout' to give you just the light effect. then setting the sweep intensity to 0 will make the 'face' of the logo not visible and then animating the edge intensity and edge thickness would start to create the reveal.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric SantiagoRe: Logo Flourish
by on May 17, 2012 at 11:53:12 am

is that the logo you are working with?
at times, some effects dont work due to the logo design or amount of pixels you are working with.
I like working with big chunky logos :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]