Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

59,94 fps conversion to real time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrei Ionut Apopei59,94 fps conversion to real time
by on May 13, 2012 at 7:25:19 am

Hi there,

I need some advice from all of you. I shot a lot of my movies in 59,94 fps with a hdslr camera (1280 x 720, frame rate: constant, scan type: progressive). I putted in AfterEffects and I interpreted the footage with 24fps, but after I render it in media encoder at 24fps it is slow-motion movie :(.

My question is: it's possible to convert 59,94fps to real time (23.976/29,97)? How?

I founded this solution but I need some advice/info:
- decimate 59,94 to 29.97 (59,94/2 = 29,97) - but how? // or are another solutions?

Please help me,
Andrei Ionut Apopei

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 59,94 fps conversion to real time
by on May 13, 2012 at 5:02:12 pm

If it's 59.94P, you can interpret the 59.94 as 29.97 interlaced footage. After interpreting it this way, it'll treat each frame as a field. Drop the footage into a 29.97 comp and you should be good to go.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: 59,94 fps conversion to real time
by on May 13, 2012 at 5:11:18 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "If it's 59.94P, you can interpret the 59.94 as 29.97 interlaced footage. After interpreting it this way, it'll treat each frame as a field. Drop the footage into a 29.97 comp and you should be good to go."

Roland, is there any benefit to doing this as opposed to just dropping the 59.94 footage into a 29.97 composition? That's how I'd do it, but now I'm questioning my instinct :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 13, 2012 at 6:13:14 pm

[Darby Edelen] "Roland, is there any benefit to doing this as opposed to just dropping the 59.94 footage into a 29.97 composition? That's how I'd do it, but now I'm questioning my instinct :)"

Hi Darby, I believe your method is correct once he outputs to 29.97i. Mine actually requires an additional step with Time Remapping which will inevitably result in a softer image.

Your method is actually akin to pre-rendering elements at double frame-rate.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GhastRe: 59,94 fps conversion to real time
by on May 14, 2012 at 4:06:46 pm

"If it's 59.94P, you can interpret the 59.94 as 29.97 interlaced footage. After interpreting it this way, it'll treat each frame as a field. Drop the footage into a 29.97 comp and you should be good to go."

Holy crap is this the quality of advice thats on here? For the love of film, dont convert your footage into interlaced. Have you ever rotoscoped using fields instead of frames? I have, and now im convinced even professional telecine houses dont know wtf they're doing.

"Mine actually requires an additional step with Time Remapping which will inevitably result in a softer image. "

There is evident blurring and your still suggesting it? On top of an unneccesary and resource consuming time remap? Consider for a moment how much time and frustration your misguided advice will cause this person and then shut up.

Andrei - you have 59.94 (60fps dropframe) progressive footage. If you want 29.97 you simply import it into virtualdub and go into the tools->frame menu and select 'decimate by 2' in the frame rate conversion area. There are other ways of doing this but this is simplest. Do not rely on any adobe product to engineer your source files as they will most likely misinterpret what it is and mangle it beyond recognition. Best practice is to always keep your source in lagarith RGB and export likewise for encoding.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 14, 2012 at 9:11:16 pm

David GHast, you've been on a nasty, filthy streak more than once in a very short while. Your behavior is totally unacceptable.

If you have a better solution, then share it whole-heartedly. Being a scumbag while you're doing it helps no one and is against the spirit of the COW.

BTW, your solution is no different than those that have already been offered and there was no mention of roto-ing anything. The COW is about sharing information. We ALL live and learn and try to make things better for each other.

If you have issues with the application or anyone here then the occasional rant is acceptable. But you've continued this despicable behavior of yours far longer than is generally acceptable. I humbly suggest that you take a break or calm yourself down. I'd hate to see anyone banned but you must know that you're heading towards such an action if you keep up with your current behavior.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 59,94 fps conversion to real time
by on May 13, 2012 at 5:10:47 pm

You got a good solution in the first post.

A search on this forum will provide a few good discussions regarding frame rate conversion.
There are a few tutorials as well:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/fps.php
And of course there's always the Adobe website:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]