Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

CS 5.5 H.264 Serious Render Bug - bad encoding

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Matt SlocumCS 5.5 H.264 Serious Render Bug - bad encoding
by on May 4, 2012 at 11:33:37 pm

I have Adobe After Effects CS5.5 on Windows 7 SP1. This problem has been reported by dozens of our customers, and happening on many, many videos made by me and my two freelancers. Many of our videos give playback erros on professional presentation software like Media Shout and Pro Presenter. I'm also able to see oddities when playing the videos in QuickTime player and Windows Media Player.

• Windows Media Player plays until the end and then during the final second it gives the error: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

• QuickTime Player: Shows an "extra black looking" first frame. If I press the right arrow key, then it jumps to the end of the video. It also sometimes freezes the previous image when you start the video back over at the beginning. Clearly there is either a header error or some frame(s) is not encoded properly.

• I'm not sure all the exact error messages of the presentation software, but it doesn't play properly and causes problems during presentations.

• Often times I've been able to fix the problem by trimming the rendered extra black off the end of the video, but sometimes this is not possible because of trailing music. I am sometimes (but not always) able to fix the problem by changing the h.264 profile settings. I've had best success by setting HD (1280x720) videos to Profile: Baseline and Level: 3.2 (attached are setting screenshots).

I have tried 50+ setting varieties on 3 different computers, and I'm starting to think that there is a render bug in Adobe's H.264 encoder. The bug happens regardless if I use either After Effects CS5.5 or Media Encoder CS5.5 to render. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any ideas as to what to try?

Return to posts index
    Reply   Like  

mathew fullerRe: CS 5.5 H.264 Serious Render Bug - bad encoding
    by on May 5, 2012 at 12:42:12 am

I never make h264 from AE. I always render a quicktime and then export an H264 from Quicktime Pro.

I'd check how often you are setting keyframes in the compression settings... I'd set one every 30 frames or so if your video doesn't edit too quickly.

The higher they fly... the much.
    My Reel:

Return to posts index
    Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: CS 5.5 H.264 Serious Render Bug - bad encoding
    by on May 8, 2012 at 3:32:18 am

[Matt Slocum] "I have tried 50+ setting varieties on 3 different computers, and I'm starting to think that there is a render bug in Adobe's H.264 encoder."

Wrong. AE's H.264 encoder was never intended to be used for final delivery. If you're using it that way, you're using it the wrong way. It's intended for quick 'n dirty renders to clients, stuff for the kids, etc. I'd never use it for serious delivery.

Drag those lossless files mad with AE into Adobe Media Encoder -- it does batch processing -- set it up to make H.264's, and life becomes good again.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
    Reply   Like  

Kubo YoshiharuRe: CS 5.5 H.264 Serious Render Bug - bad encoding
    by on May 8, 2012 at 5:41:06 am

Dave,.he already said that he tried to encode in AME, but the problem is still persist. And one thing i must add, it also happened to me last month (not 100% the same but similar)

My case was :
    1. The Final render from AME (either CS 5 or CS 5.5) always stuttering in PC.
    2. The Final render was stutter even more when play in Mac.
    3. The Source (sequence) was Pro Res 422 and render out using QuickTime
    4. The Source (from Quicktime) was lossless animation, best quality, keyframe set to 1, render out from FCP7 (i'm not the operator)--> i receive this file.
    3. The video is not cut precisely ( there are 1 extra frame from the next shot)

The solution (choose one):
    1. Trim that 1 extra frame (oddly, this fix the problem)
    2. Add 1 extra frame or more (i'm using black matte in PPro CS 5)
    3. Reduce the bitrate.
    4. Use something other than MainConcept H.264, either Sorenson h.264 or X.263
    5. Use VLC to play.

I think it was a rare AME / MainConcept bug, cause i ALWAYS render in AME (Preset HDTV 1080p 25fps) during 3 years, and not even once this problem occur only with that that particular clip.

Well i think what really cause it is that my codec / installation is broken somehow, because it never occur again after clean /format install Win 7 (i'm using a clean backup Win 7+CS5 with Acronis)

The funny thing is, during that error time, that problem only arose with that particular clip, because i test rendering out my old project and all of them render out fine. I still baffled what cause it.

------------
    Sorry for the english,.not native speaker.

Return to posts index
    Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
    Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
    © 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]