Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

3D Anagylph CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ron Weaver3D Anagylph CS5
by on May 4, 2012 at 1:58:44 pm

HI,
I am producing a 3D Stereo film and have come across a project stopping problem. I have a quicktime video that has an alpha channel.

When I use this footage together with the 3D Glasses effect in AE, everything that was an alpha channel will turn black. It seems the effect does not accept alpha channels.

Ive tried keying that black, with ugly to absurd results.
Ive tried pre-rendering, still have black.
Ive tried masking, and the ghosting effect is absurd and unacceptable.

Any Ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

If you dont understand my problem then here is a simple setup to view the problem yourself (note: CS5 and under)

1. Take a .png image of anything that has an object with the image background as transparent (alpha).
2. Import into AE, in a compisition, duplicate this image/ therefor you will have 2 of the same images in one composition.
3. Add an adjustment layer and add the 3D Glasses effect to that layer.
4. Tell the Glasses effect one layer is right, the other left.
5. Change the 3D view dropdown in the 3D glasses effect to Symetrical, so that you have the red/blue overlapping eachother.
6. Use the Convergence to seperate the images a bit.

7. Notice that your alpha has turned black. Pre-comping doesnt help!/adding the effect to any other layer or etc doesnt help-
The alpha is gone, like it grew legs and just walked away.!!

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance!!
Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Walter SoykaRe: 3D Anagylph CS5
by on May 4, 2012 at 2:19:28 pm

Precomping does it here. Put your PNG in a comp. Duplicate the comp. Bring those two precomps into a third comp, then use your directions as above.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron WeaverRe: 3D Anagylph CS5
by on May 4, 2012 at 2:33:29 pm

Im sorry but in CS5 this does not work.

After adding the 3D Glasses effect and changeing the Symetrical dropdown menu to the last option: symetrical color red/blue..the alpha channel goes black!

PreComping does not work in CS5...maybe you have CS5.5?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 2:44:52 pm

Sorry, Ron, you're right -- this works in CS5.5 but not in CS5.

I am curious as to what you're ultimately trying to accomplish, though. Why do you want anaglyph with an alpha channel? Why not composite your transparent video in 3D space with the rest of the scene and make your anaglyph of the whole thing?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 2:53:38 pm

Walter,
Ya, too bad I dont have CS5.5, or my project would be saved. I guess its time to upgrade!

My background scene is a different way of Anaglyph, using a displacement map to create depth. In this background I do not need to use the 3D Glasses effect. But anything that I would like to sit correctly on that scene, I need to be able to adjust the convergence. Therefor I need to composite objects on this background scene. Putting all into one and then using the effect I lose my depth in the background and get a flat image swimming in z-depth.

Anyways...Ill have to let my boss know we need CS5.5 now or we can kiss this project Bye Bye!!

Thanks for trying to help though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 2:58:04 pm

[Ron Weaver] "Anyways...Ill have to let my boss know we need CS5.5 now or we can kiss this project Bye Bye!!"

Upgrade now, and get CS6 for free.

You can still download the CS5.5 trial version -- good for 30 days -- to make sure it'll do exactly what you want.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HillRe: 3D Anagylph CS5
by on May 4, 2012 at 7:23:39 pm

It is inherently tricky for it to handle an alpha channel combined with the Anaglyph image. A pixel that would be transparent to the left eye might be solid to the right eye and vice versa. You see what I'm saying?

If 5.5 handles it, good to know.

Years ago, I did 3D Anaglyph in AE the hard way. I set channels for the two layers, so one was all red and the other was all cyan, then used Add blend mode to combine the two.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 9:33:08 pm

@Ryan: I totally understand what you are saying. This was also an area of speculation on my part. A definite conclusive answer still eludes me though. I would accept a bit of ghosting if it handles alphas poorly. But in this case, it doesnt even try.

Anyways, Im not giving up yet. I contacted Andrew Murchie @ http://www.enhanced-dimensions.com/wordpress/?page_id=2295
and he was a huge help. Big props to this guy!!

Ill update this thread with the final results on monday.
Thanks again for all your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]