Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Text following a subject - is there a plug in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eve MyhillText following a subject - is there a plug in
by on May 2, 2012 at 6:25:36 pm

I've seen this on a few adds and wondering if there is a plug in or 'cheat' to anchoring text to a moving subject or even keeping it fixed to a subject as the camera moves around.

I want to keep the perspective without the complications of rotoscoping.

Is there a plug in for this, or do I have to keyframe?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: Text following a subject - is there a plug in
by on May 2, 2012 at 6:48:44 pm

This is generally done by motion tracking a subject then using the motion tracking data to attach the text to the subject. Here's a simple tutorial(part 1 of 2) illustrating how it can be done:

For more complicated setups you could use cameratracker(or other plugins that solve cameras), but generally that's not necessary. Usually you can use AE's tracker or Mocha(3rd party software that ships with AE)

There are 100's of tutorials for learning to use both trackers. AdobeTV has quite a few that are pretty good.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin AusmithRe: Text following a subject - is there a plug in
by on May 2, 2012 at 7:40:12 pm

Seems like this is really easy to do in CS6 using the built in camera tracker! Haven't had the chance to get my hands on a copy yet, though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Text following a subject - is there a plug in
by on May 2, 2012 at 9:35:14 pm

As Benjamin said, this is quite easy with CS6's new 3D tracker, and as John said, if you need to do it today, CAMERATRACKER from The Foundry is a great choice.

One thing to add, though -- camera tracking doesn't necessarily obviate the need for rotoscoping [link]. If you want the 3D text to obscured by other objects in your footage, you may need to do some roto to generate a matte.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy