Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Can't get correct camera movements!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Christopher FoddeCan't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:26:51 pm

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to do a camera movement that hard to explain but it was used in many of the street fighter X Tekken trailers.

Here a link to see what I'm talking about

I've been trying to move the camera like that but I can't get it to move as fast and smooth as in the trailer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik WaluskaRe: Can't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:12:17 am

There are a lot of different camera moves in that video. Which one(s) are you asking about specifically? And what is the problem you are having in trying to replicate them?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: Can't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:18:46 am

Some Camera Rig tutorials:

Creative Cow series, Illustrating the problems of the AE Camera and how to create a Camera Rig:
http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-1/1

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-2/1

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-3/1

Maltaannon Camera Rig tutorial:

http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/simple-camera-rig/

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher FoddeRe: Can't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:13:23 am

When they show one or two characters and the camera moves around them and shows there names. The problem is that I try to get that movement but mine is very slow and not smooth at all and I can't get the camera to move fast then slow down when showing specific parts for example an arm or leg.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik WaluskaRe: Can't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:17:09 am

Still not following you. Can you post an example?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris ButtacoliRe: Can't get correct camera movements!
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:08:42 pm

Chris(you),

Separate the 3d layers in z-space, make a new camera. Attach that to a 3d-null and make the basic zoom moves in the xyz position. Then make a new 3d null and attach the first null to it. Animate this nulls xy position to make the drifting moves. Sounds a bit complicated? It's not really...

Here open up this AE project - I did it in CS3. (so if you have a later version it will not be an issue)

4041_cameramovetest.aep.zip

Is this the look you were going for?

-Chris(me)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2012 at 9:41:05 pm

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for Thanks Alot.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2012 at 10:34:08 pm

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for Thanks Alot. But I tried doing it based off what you gave me and I got it to work but its not very smooth.

Also I don't know how to explain this but the images start trying to move to the next keyframe(the Z axis or in and out) while the other keyframe(drift move)is in use. The idea is there but I can't get it to look like yours.

The parts that work perfectly is the beginning when the images drift back then zoom in, after that it's a mess.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:27:06 pm

Sometimes the keyframe interpolation remains in bezier mode, (which is basically for easing in and out) even when you switch back to linear keyframes. You can see it if you use the graph view. Anyway, select all the keyframes, right click and choose "keyframe interpolation". Make sure the temporal and spacial fields are set to linear.

Here's a good link(s) from Aharon Rabinowitz that explains:

pt1- http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/boomerang_1.php

pt2- http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/boomerang_2.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 5, 2012 at 7:22:52 am

I tried so many times but I can't get it to look like yours! I don't know what i'm doing wrong but at the moment I'm using your project and parenting images to your text and editing like that. But I want to learn how to do it by myself which I don't know what I'm doing wrong I looked through the whole project and checked my settings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2012 at 6:28:23 pm

This is how I did it:

Create a new 2sec comp. After creating a camera, and setting up the scene in 3d, I made a new null and ticked its 3d object box. Then I parented the camera to the null. This null will be for the basic blocking of the scene.

1. Adjust the null x,y,z position to frame-out the initial wide shot. At frame 0, set a starting position keyframe. Move ahead 15 frames and set the keyframe again. Next, move ahead 5 frames and adjust the position of the null to the first close-up angle. Move ahead 15 frames and set that same keyframe again. Now move ahead 5 frames and set the null position to the second close-up angle. Again, move ahead 15 frames and copy the keyframe. Finally, move ahead 5 frames and return to the original position by copying and pasting the first keyframe. (all keyframes should be linear as I wrote earlier)

2. Create the second null and make it 3d. Parent the first null to this one. This null will be for the drifting. Just like in step one, animate this nulls x,y,z position. Set an initial keyframe at frame 0. Move ahead 15 frames and adjust the z position for the slight camera-push-in. Make a keyframe. Now move ahead 5 frames and adjust some slight x axis drift to the left. Move this keyframe over 15 more frames, to where the first close-up ends. Jump ahead 5 frames, and apply some x axis drift to the right. Also move this keyframe over 15 frames, to where close-up two ends. Now just copy and paste the initial starting keyframe at the end. Turn motion blur on for your layers and you're done.

That's it. Seven keys in null 1, 4 keys in null 2. However.... if you start adjusting the keys, you may start seeing that boomerang effect. That is because your keyframes are not linear!!! See those two tutorials above. Select all keyframes, right click, choose interpolation, and make sure linear is selected for spacial and temporal.

Hopefully you can follow this - I wish I had a means of making a video-tut, it would probably be easier to follow. Any questions let me know.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]