Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

stuttering jumpy mp4 videos

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Ewan Horlockstuttering jumpy mp4 videos
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:01:26 pm

Hi there,

Basically I have an animation within after effects..approx 4 mins long.

I have exported the final composition via AME... export settings are 1280x720p h.264 25fps VBR max 5 target 4

However when the video is finished ...when I open it on my desktop the video is stuttering and jittery. It seems to go forward then jump back a couple of frames?

I always use these settings and it plays fine

any comments would be much appreciated :)

thanks in advance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul RoperRe: stuttering jumpy mp4 videos
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:16:58 pm

Rather than exporting via Media Encoder, render it in After Effects using one of the "editing" codecs (eg. Animation, ProRes), then check this rendered, uncompressed movie. If it's stuttery, then there's a problem with AE. If it's not, THEN compress this movie in AME. If the compressed result is stuttery, it's a problem with your compression settings in AME.

I assume your original comp is set to 25fps in After Effects? If not, then you're asking for trouble trying to render/compress it in one pass at a different frame rate.

Hope that helps.

- Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ewan HorlockRe: stuttering jumpy mp4 videos
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 1:10:38 pm

I have exported the video as Quicktime photo jpeg and it seems to be fine.

So its definitely AME and a problem with h.264 ...

I have deselected the "set keyframe distance" ..which was set at 25. However it still seems to create a stuttering wobbly effect. Other than that I cant think of anything else which would effect it.

Are there any other settings which could create this in AME with h.264?

thanks for your help so far :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul RoperRe: stuttering jumpy mp4 videos
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:10:24 pm

Have you tried applying one of AME's presets without altering it? If that gives you stuttery output, it could maybe be a problem with the speed of your system - drives or processor. H264 is a processor intensive codec (as far as I know) ie. it takes a lot of computing power to decompress each frame, which is why codecs as good as H264 are a relatively new invention.

If one of the preset setups give you OK output, start changing the settings one parameter at a time, then do a test compress, see if it's OK, change the next parameter...until you get stuttery results. Then you can isolate the problem to one particular setting.

You might get more help on one of the Adobe forums (such as http://forums.adobe.com/community/ame ) - this is going off-topic for an After Effects forum.

- Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ewan HorlockRe: stuttering jumpy mp4 videos
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:59:26 pm

I have tried a couple of the h.264 presets ... HDTV 720p seems to work fine however its the Vimeo HD preset which seems to give me problems.

The only thing I can see which is different between the two is obviously the target and maximum bitrate... and also the profile setting. The vimeo HD profile setting is 3.1 and the HDTV 720p is 3.2 Im not too sure if that would affect it. I dont have a lot of knowledge on profiles. That and keyframe distances.

Ok so you say I should alter the good preset until it gives stuttery results. Not too sure what I should alter first.

At the momemnt I am exporting as Quicktime animation and then converting to h.264 in mpeg streamclip ...which seems to give good results.

I am running a imac I7 with 8GB Ram

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]