Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...

COW Forums : Boujou

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Amir BazrafshanHere's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:00:47 pm

hello all,

I have a shot that needs stabilising - but I have tried AE, FCP, Mocha, Motion - all with no success.

Here is a brief description of the shot, so you know what I am facing.

It's a simple CU profile (character looking off camera), which then moves behind the character so we see what he is looking at, ending on an over the shoulder shot.

The issue is that there is not one single part of the frame that is always in shot, so there isn't a fixed point for the software to track.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be most welcome - this is the last shot of the film, so I'd love it to be as good as possible.

Cheers
Amir

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:47:01 pm

You mentioned that you tried AE -- have you tried CS5.5's Warp Stabilizer?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amir BazrafshanRe: Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:49:46 pm

hey thanks for the response - no, i dont have access to that but will look into it for sure.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:52:04 pm

What version of After Effects are you using? CS 5.5's Warp Stabilizer should be able to help with this shot.

Or if you have access to The Foundry's Camera Tracker, there's a workflow you can use to stabilize footage with that.

Otherwise I think the solution may be painful. For example, you can move the point tracker to focus on a new feature without moving its attach point. You could select new track features as the old ones leave the frame. However, this is complicated by parallax, things at different distances from the camera will move at different rates. Still, there may be a potential solution there.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amir BazrafshanRe: Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:50:08 pm

hey, cheers for the heads up on this - i will look into those.

fingers crossed!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WoodRe: Here's a challenge: Stabilising a rotating shot...
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:35:23 pm

Andrew Kramer posted a tutorial for VCP where I recall him enabling a tracker to track a tracker.

It's the set extension tutorial he does where he composites a few old stone castles into the background.

The camera moves from a shot of the ground, way way way off horizontally and then ends up on its target. He just parents one tracker to the other in some fashion and it seems to work.

You would probably have to daisy-chain a bunch of trackers in this way, but as long as you give your trackers something good to grip to, you should be alright.

You could also look into 3D matchmoving such as Boujou / Syntheyes as, though they are primarily 3D trackers, they can do 2D functions such as stabilization.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]