Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AE CS6 has been announced!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Roland R. KahlenbergAE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:19:52 am

More info on the following links -
http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

Chris Meyer
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/after_effects_cs.../

John Dickinson
After Effects: New 3D Features in CS6 http://www.motionworks.com.au/after-effects-new-3d-features-in-cs6/

John Dickinson
After Effects: CS6 3D Material Template
http://www.motionworks.com.au/after-effects-cs6-3d-material-template/

Josh Weiss
http:///www.retooled.net

I'm sure there'll be lots of relevant tutorials at the COW in the days and weeks ahead!

Here's something I did with a single Text Layer, a number of Text Animator Groups + the new features -> Extrusion, Bevel, and Raytracing ->http://reels.creativecow.net/film/ae-cs6-text-animators-new-features-extrus...

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:04:21 am

Here's a comprehensive list of what's new and changed, which I will add links to over the next several days, pointing to detailed articles about each new feature:
http://adobe.ly/HCGNMJ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:49:29 pm

I'm very excited about the new release.

Global Performance Cache, which intelligently caches both final frames as well as intermediate results, is a huge speed boost. The cache is persistent on disk, too, so it even works across projects.

The 3D ray tracer lets you do extrusions on text and shapes, and lets you bend 2D layers in true 3D space. Since it's ray-traced, you get some 3D goodness like reflections and refraction -- right in AE.

If you're interested in the ray tracer, it's time to start ignoring my old advice on ignoring the graphics card for AE. The ray tracer can render on the GPU, and since its performance is dramatically higher on a supported GPU than it is on a CPU, serious use really benefits from a qualified NVIDIA CUDA-enabled card.

This is a great start to what will certainly be an interesting NAB week.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:54:06 pm

I agree Walter. Global Performance Cache is a huge productivity boost.

Folks should take note that 3D extrusions work within AE's own 3D space. So you'll get 3D interactions between Extruded Layers and even with non-extruded 3D Layers.

The 3D Camera Tracker is fast and works well on less tricky shots. The cool thing is that moving subjects do not necessarily have to be masked off for the algorithm to do its thing. This is however not the case when subjects more close to the camera. In such cases, masking will be ideal. Shots with large parallax moves may benefit from a more robust tracker that allows for refinement of a Solve.

Lots of good stuff ahead.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:30:57 pm

Time to start specing out a new system.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin AusmithRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07:18 pm

And I just bought the 3D extrude script from AE scripts. Oh well. Extrusions and ray tracing makes me happy.

I could have sworn that CS5 said it was going to have variable-width feather mask... or was that just me?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:16:02 pm

[Benjamin Ausmith] "I could have sworn that CS5 said it was going to have variable-width feather mask... or was that just me?"

I know variable-width feathered masks has been a top feature request [link] before, but it's a new feature for CS6.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik WaluskaRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:58:02 pm

Wow, CS6 looks really awesome! Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andy bayRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:16:06 pm

Still no timeline folders or layer grouping though? You got to be kidding Adobe. This feature has been a top request for years now. How hard can it be to code some basic grouping functions to the timeline?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: AE CS6 has been announced!!!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:48:58 am

I hear you. No release is perfect, though. We're working hard to give you top requested features in the past, and moving forward. Since it is a top feature, you can bet it'll probably be in a future release.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:08:51 am

This link covers some pertinent bits on similar requests ->
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/12/top-after-effects-feature-reques....

At issue, I believe is a huge case of miscommunication. Folks, largely have issues explaining, logically and in a rational manner. This is very much a UI design issue.

It is important to consider that folks are generally irrational BUT mostly logical. What I'm trying to get at is that the requests and their harboring reasons/explanations lack logical deduction.

If you read the link above, there is no true logical reason why in-Timeline Grouping requires such huge attention. Zorro is cool but it lacks functionality. It provides awesome cosmetic solutions but doesn't understand why users want an in-Timeline Grouping feature/solution.

Where Zorro fails is in its context with relevance towards its functionality for the user. But then again I doubt that Zorro was meant to solve in-Timeline Grouping Functionality issues. Zorro, as we know it, is an awesome layer or gorup of layers INDENTIFICATION TOOL that does not provide in-Timeline Group Functionality.

Adobe has to put forth better questions to its users, on this issue.

I take the first para from the relevant link's relevant topic to mean that Adobe doesn't really know what it's users want - for something that most of its users have requested for. I feel that this is rather unfortunate for all involved. The (a) and (b) 'solutions' in the said paragraph have nothing to do with in-Timeline Grouping functionality

(a) has no in-Timeline functionality other than cosmetic assistance towards identifying layers

(b) this solution involves providing a function by linking information from an external composition.

Where is the in-Timeline Grouping functions that users have requested? What we should be talking about is this -> in-Timeline Group Functionality.

What we want to look at is to have a grouping feature that is based on actual functionality with respect to a layer (nested or otherwise), its KFs, Expressions and Parenting/Child structure - in essence, functionality. These are the 'tags' that users actually want when they seek an in-Timeline Grouping Feature within AE.

I could off course be totally wrong. ;-)

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:06:31 am

AE CS6 is the biggest/bestest AE upgrade since AE introduced 3D Layers.

The Global Performance Cache alone, for me, is worth the upgrade. I've done up a short promo video showcasing the 3D Camera Tracker in CS6. The 3D Camera Tracker is fast and most jobs don't require masking off moving objects.

Here's a preliminary promo I've done up - Roland's AE CS6 Course Promo (3D Camera Tracker).

Most of the shots were tracked in under 5 minutes. The 2 shots with lots of 3D text were completely done in less than 40 minutes.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 3:33:39 pm

Wow, those tracks look very solid. So how does it do with more erratic camera movement like handheld shots, particularly those with movement in z-space instead of just stationary panning shots? And what is the "TE" doing to the "XT" in that hotel room? XD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51:29 am

Like I said Eric, it's a very good 3D Tracker and very fast too!

[Erik Waluska] " And what is the "TE" doing to the "XT" in that hotel room?"

They're getting busy with a feisty session of 'Competitive Yoga'.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 15, 2012 at 3:27:24 am

LOL!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:31:22 am

[Erik Waluska] " So how does it do with more erratic camera movement like handheld shots, particularly those with movement in z-space instead of just stationary panning shots?"

Hi Erik, here's something I just baked using a shaky, handheld camera (clip is from http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_index.html) AE CS6 3D Camera Tracker - Handheld Footage Example-> .

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:22:58 pm

Very impressive! I can't wait to try it out. I have PFHoe now and it does a pretty good job but it can take a while to get a good track on some shots. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:49:11 am

You will still want your more robust 3D Trackers. What AE's 3D Camera Tracker lacks is in the user being able to define an area of interest or to refine the solve in an elegant and productive manner.

But it's certainly the first 3D tracker I will use. There are the occasional solve failures. Unfortunately, I'm still a few sessions away from having a definitive idea as to what won't absolutely work with AE's 3D Camera Tracker. The good news for now is that it's still the first trick out of my bag as far as 3D Camera Solves are concerned.

Here's a quick compilation of some tracks I've done with 3D Camera Tracker. All the 3D tracks was done over two days in about 4 hours. BTW, the t-shirt track was done with mochaAE - all other tracks were completed with the 3D Camera Tracker. Of note is that I only had to mask off moving objects (prior to invoking the tracker) in only one of the shots and that was the 'escalator shot'.

Here's the link ->
RoRK's AE CS6 3D Camera Tracker - course preview (WIP).

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:57:09 am

That's good to know, man. Thanks! Looking forward to your tutorials or whatever you have planned on this subject. BTW, you said "the t-shirt track"? I assume the girl in the white t-shirt at the end?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:38:18 am

The t-shirt track is a wee bit too well done! ;-) Lots of folks don't notice that the design on her t-shirt is actually animated. The entire shot starts off with a plain white t-shirt and starts from there. I did post a video delineating the process a while back - it starts off with placing markers on the t-shirt, tracking with mochaAE and then using AE's paint+clone tools to remove the markers and then to composite the design elements.

Unfortunately, my courses are meant for a classroom environment. I should however be doing a few online video tutorials but then I've been saying that for ages! :-(

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]