Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nick NatteauAE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:49:04 am

I'm trying to use Sure Target to move in on several objects on a WWII map of Europe. I've viewed Andrew Cramer's Sure Target 2 tutorial over and and over on videocopilot, but I just can't seem to get it right.

Let's say I want my camera in AE to dolly in and move from one object to another to another on a 3D map in AE. I read that Sure Target is a very efficient way to do this. After creating a null object and then Sure Target, selecting the targets, and keyframing,the Sure Target red box outline always seems to be far off from it's intended target. Always far off to the left. Yet I can't move the red box outline, it's just stuck there.

I can dolly in but I want my camera to move from one object to another to another on the map. I thought Sure Target was the best way to do it. Is there a better (less complex) way to do this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mathew fullerRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:46:46 am

I would rewatch the tutorials on videocopilot.net. The plugin is explained quite well.

It is a fabulous way to make great camera moves in AE. And yes... getting around the issue you are having is mentioned in the video tutorial.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/sure_target_2/

The higher they fly... the much.
My Reel:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick NatteauRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:07:45 am

Thank very much for your help. I saw the tutorial several times but I didn't see where he mentions repositioning the target. Whenever I apply the Sure Target, it's way off center from where it should be. Positioning doesn't seem to work with the Sure Target. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again. will check the tutorial again but still haven't been able to get Sure Target to center on my targets.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CuevasRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:08:06 pm

Believe it's an issue until you target 2 layers. Give that a try.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben ThompsonRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:57:55 am

Nick, were you ever able to find a solution for this problem? I've encountered the exact same thing, and have gotten pretty frustrated. I, too, have watched Andrew Kramer's video quite a bit, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron PozzerRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 8:04:38 pm

i used ST2 once for an entire 13 episode project with no problems. didnt touch it for about a year and came back to it today and had the same off-center problem. thought it was a cs5 cs6 issue, but no.

i was able to solve the problem by adjusting the Point Of Interest on the camera, or the Anchor Point on the ST2 layer (in the actual transforms). i also had all my 3d layers parented to a central null, which ALSO screwed things up, and that had to be adjusted on the anchor point as well.

all i did realy was make sure the ST2 layer was visible (i usually keep it hidden so i dont see the solid layer box), then drag the anchor points around until things started to center. turned out the #s needed to be centered (in my case, 960.540.0), and i dont know how they got UNcentered.

anyway, just thought this was frustrating and since i didnt find an answer, i thought id share.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lambert VermillardRe: AE Sure Target 2: why is Sure Target always off center???
by on Sep 16, 2014 at 6:21:10 pm
Last Edited By Lambert Vermillard on Sep 16, 2014 at 8:41:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Today i had the same problem of uncentered sure target, but i found the reason why !!!!!

If your Target has a parent sure target will go off center.
Set the parent of your target to none and there you have it.

Try it and let me know...

Cheers
Lambert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]