Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Create a seamless 3D floor to back wall effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Colin CarverCreate a seamless 3D floor to back wall effect?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:03:34 am

Could someone please explain to me how I can make a 3D environment, where I have a floor and a back "wall" that seamlessley merge so that the join isn't obvious, even when a AE light/shadow is cast onto it?

I'm kind of looking to recreate a background like the one in this image:

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/clyde.jpg

The character is obviously standing on a flat "floor" but although I can make a 3D room with a floor and a back wall easily, I can't seem to be able to make something that looks anything like this.

Colin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Create a seamless 3D floor to back wall effect?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:54:11 am

You'll need to fake the effect of the light on the floor and wall layers with the Ramp effect (or a something similar). Set these layers to NOT Accept Lights but to Accept Shadows.

Apply Effect>Generate>Ramp to the wall layer and set your start and end colors and points. Then apply Effect>Generate>Ramp to the floor layer. Match the appropriate start/end points and colors to achieve the desired effect.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Create a seamless 3D floor to back wall effect?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:03:33 pm

AE can provide many options, especially if you include 3rd party options.
To get the shadow you could set a floor layer with a mask that feathers to the far side in z space. This will make it blend in whatever background layer you have, 3d or 2d.

For a wall/floor combo with a seamless transition you can bend a layer in 3d space using FreeForm Pro. You'll have to fake the floor shadow though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]