Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

composition markers, after preComp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andy Engelkemiercomposition markers, after preComp.
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 2:56:22 pm

Sorry, that was the best subject I could come up with.

If you have comp markers and then use that composition in another, you see the composition markers as layer markers. Cool, very useful.

How do you get this if you didn't set any composition markers ahead of time, or have them update perhaps?

Here's an issue I have often enough: After using a precomposed composition, I realize I need to pause between two actions that have no pause, so I need it to be precise. I'd like to be able to just add a composition marker where I want to split the composition, then flip over to my master composition and have that marker show up.

Is there any way to "refresh" that? For now I'm doing an odd workaround by adding a time-remap (I'll need it for the pause anyway) and just copying down the time of that layer where I need to split.

Is this possible?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: composition markers, after preComp.
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:49:26 pm

Use the Replace Layer function:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Find the how-to on this page.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy EngelkemierRe: composition markers, after preComp.
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:10:19 pm

Did you try that? Because it doesn't work for me.
I actually use that function quite often. I was hopeful when you posted, but no such luck. And I went back and read it after trying to see if I missed something.

I assume you meant that replacing the footage with itself would update any marker changes/additions, but they didn't change.

It looks like it actually isn't possible, from what the help file says, without the use of scripts.

If I'm missing something let me know. I clicked on my footage in the timeline, then alt+drag the footage on top of it as if I wanted to replace it with something else.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:13:14 pm

[Andy Engelkemier] "Did you try that?"

Yes, I use it quite a bit, actually. What happens if you restore default AE preferences?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:38:36 pm

Shoot, I didn't know that it would delete my workspaces too. Ooops.

Still no luck though. I even tried duplicating my comp first and replacing it with the duplicate. It replaces it, but it still doesn't update with the markers I've added.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: composition markers, after preComp.
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:52:22 pm

[Andy Engelkemier] "After using a precomposed composition, I realize I need to pause between two actions that have no pause, so I need it to be precise. I'd like to be able to just add a composition marker where I want to split the composition, then flip over to my master composition and have that marker show up. Is there any way to "refresh" that?"

Yes.

Let's assume you have a comp named PRECOMP, with composition markers. When you bring PRECOMP into MAIN COMP, the composition markers come across as layer markers.

When you update the comp markers in PRECOMP, the layer markers in MAIN COMP don't automatically update.

To update them, in MAIN COMP, right-click on one of the layer markers on the PRECOMP layer and choose "Update markers from source."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:57:30 pm

Oooohhh, I didn't know about that handy trick! Thanks!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:59:49 pm

AH, got it.

I didn't have any markers yet, so it wouldn't work. I just quick added a marker, then followed what you said. Updated like a charm.

Thanks Walter. Exactly what I was looking for.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Loay El-AswadRe: composition markers, after preComp.
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:17:05 am

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]