Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Motion Tracking - Weird Text Twist Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chase WichertMotion Tracking - Weird Text Twist Problem
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:34:49 am

Okay so I have an animation I created in 3DS Max, and as an after thought I decided I want text that appears stationary in the video. So I tried motion tracking, however when I assign my text to the null object as the video plays the text twists or rotates slightly independed of the null object. I have it set as a 3d layer so I can rotate it and get it looking correct, it is 2d text that was created by right clicking and selecting new-> is after effects cs5. Also my settings for the tracker are:
Transform
Position
Rotation
(and I have tried Scale)

I have also tried the combinations of all of the position rotation and scales. Any know what is going on?

Thanks in Advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik WaluskaRe: Motion Tracking - Weird Text Twist Problem
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:49:03 pm

Why not just render out the text in 3DS Max using the same scene you created the video with? That way the camera move and lighting would match perfectly. Just render the text by itself and composite it in AE if you don't want to render the whole thing again in 3DS. Should render pretty quickly if you optimize the scene and just use basic lighting and materials for the text.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:04:34 pm

You can also export the camera data from 3DS max to AE.

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2008/02/import-3d-camera-into-after-effect...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chase WichertRe: Motion Tracking - Weird Text Twist Problem
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 10:18:06 pm

Hey, thanks! I thought about doing that and I still might, however I am into learning new things so I wanted to figure out why it wasn't working, and I found out that Mocha tracks it much better, because there is a large zoom and rotation that happens. Thanks again for the advice!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:14:37 am

You bet. Very true, Mocha can do a nice job matching perspective changes and can do it pretty quickly once you get the hang of it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]