Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

AVI Quality Compression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Christopher RotterAVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 4, 2012 at 1:04:27 am

What is the best AVI Compression that leaves the original quality of the video, but compresses the video to reduce file size ? I'm interested in free and commercial CODECS and recommendations.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: AVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 4, 2012 at 2:45:23 pm

Avid's DnxHD is pretty good and free. I don't know if it's AVI or just MOV though. Why does it have to be AVI? The shop where I work runs all Windows machines, but we use MOV's all the time.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher RotterRe: AVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 4, 2012 at 6:02:35 pm

It doesn't have to be AVI :) Thank You, I'll test it out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: AVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 4, 2012 at 6:40:24 pm

Quicktime with the Photo JPEG codec at 90% is pretty visually close to lossless, but a much smaller file size than lossless.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:45:40 am

Do you know any free opensource recommendations that can write to Mov/Avi with the CODEC you first presented and write to H.264 ?

I'm presently using two programs which one can't write to the CODEC you first presented but they both can write to H.264. I've spend countless hours searching for something that has several CODECs built in, but can use other installed CODECS and fire out nice h.264 as well. I work with a video editor that is picky and requires only AVI or MOV input. I don't want the uncompressed file sizes, I know you recommended the AVID codec and the PhotoJPEG compression in MOV but as I mentioned, I'm missing the program :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: AVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:20:13 pm

[Christopher Rotter] "I work with a video editor that is picky and requires only AVI or MOV input."

Actually, your video editor isn't picky enough. AVI and MOV are just containers. Your editor should be specifying a preferred codec as well.

Video containers are just like shipping containers: you can stuff just about anything into a shipping container, but because the box itself is standardized, the shipping industry can use the same set of tools to pick the box up with a crane and move it from a ship to train to a truck.

The stuff inside the shipping container -- that's your video, compressed with a specific codec. To work with the stuff within the container, an application must be compatible (and simpatico) with both the container format and the codec itself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:29:00 pm

I understand this, what are you trying to tell me that no program exist as to what I'm after. :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:42:39 pm

[Christopher Rotter] "I understand this, what are you trying to tell me that no program exist as to what I'm after. :)"

Sorry to blather on about stuff you already knew.

Avid makes DNxHD freely available as a QuickTime codec only. There is no DirectShow or VfW implementation (one of which would be necessary for standard AVI output).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:36:36 pm

Avid makes DNxHD freely available as a QuickTime codec only. There is no DirectShow or VfW implementation (one of which would be necessary for standard AVI output).

No DirectShow or VfW implementation. What is beneficial then using the Avid Codec and when you say it's a QuickTime Codec only, which means it only will play on QuickTime ? Sorry, want to make heads and tails of this :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:32:20 pm

[Christopher Rotter] "No DirectShow or VfW implementation. What is beneficial then using the Avid Codec and when you say it's a QuickTime Codec only, which means it only will play on QuickTime ? Sorry, want to make heads and tails of this :)"

It's not that it only "plays on QuickTime" -- it means that any application which uses the QuickTime libraries to access media files can read it. Practically speaking, that means that you could use a DNxHD QuickTime file in Avid, FCP, or Premiere Pro.

DNxHD is free and comparable in compression to ProRes, so you get great image quality at a fraction of the size of uncompressed.

If you must wrap in AVI, the CineForm codec is another outstanding option. The decoder is free, but you do have to pay for the encoder.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken MitchellRe: AVI Quality Compression
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:06:42 pm

If you are interested in free .avi codecs that look great check out the lagarith lossless video codec. PC ONLY!. you must have this installed on your pc to use...http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:12:25 am

Thank you for that explanation it helped :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:20:06 am

@Walter Soyka or whomever.
Maybe you can help me, the video editor I use can I/O the following formats

• MXF Op1a, MXF OpAtom, Quicktime and AVI
  • DV25, DVCPRO 25, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
  • MPEG-2 I-Frame SD and HD
  • Uncompressed SD and HD at 8 bit and 10 bit
(theres more but of no use to me)

I'm using XVid4PSP5 for converting my video so I can load it into the video editor, none of the conversion codecs in XVid4PSP5 do the trick. Do you have any suggestions ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]