Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Importing into Mocha from After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Renee MatthewsImporting into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:01:24 pm

Hi guys -

I've searched endlessly for this and can't find anything out. Mocha wants me to import a video file when creating a new project and I can't import a .mts file and I really need to import the cut clips from either Premiere Pro CS5 or After Effects CS5, as I am adamant I do not want to export my footage, import into mocha, do my thing, then re-export. I did this last year and the quality of the footage is reduced too much for my taste to add effects after an export then re-export again - even if all the export settings are identical...

Any ideas? Thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ben g ungurenRe: Importing into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 3:42:36 pm

I've never used .mts files in mocha, so we're it me, the first thing I'd try is to convert the .mts into a lossless .mov (with the Animation codec, or PNG video, for instance). I realize this is the sort of thing you are resisting, but you may want to export the SOURCE footage (in QT player, MPEG Streamclip, or Adobe Media Encoder) and use that, rather than exporting your edit, where resizing or other things can degrade the quality of the original. When I am working with RED proxies, I will export whatever needs to go to Mocha into an image sequence. Makes things a lot easier.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Importing into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:13:33 pm

[ben g unguren] "I've never used .mts files in mocha, so we're it me, the first thing I'd try is to convert the .mts into a lossless .mov (with the Animation codec, or PNG video, for instance)."

If you follow Ben's advice of using lossless intermediates, you will not lose quality.

If you continually re-export using the original settings, however, you are actually re-compressing the material in each step of your workflow, throwing away information and introducing artifacts. As you noted, with some codecs, the difference is noticeable after only a generation or two.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Importing into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:56:57 pm

Export the MTS into a format that mocha likes. Once the tracking data is acquired, you can use the original MTS instead of the version used by mocha. If you datarate of the original MTS is high and you render out similarly, you may be OK.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolkeRe: Importing into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 2:12:27 am

"Export the MTS into a format that mocha likes. "

I am having the exact same problem - I am working with 24p 1080p in mts. - but am having a hard time finding a suitable export setting that will allow me to track in mocha.

What format and what codec should I use?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Importing into Mocha from After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33:41 am

Ben's given some excellent advice - export to an image sequence format.

TIFF will be nice. But do take note that mocha supports lots of other formats.

All that you need from mocha is the tracking data, exported either via your OS's Clipboard or a text file. Once you have access to the tracking data, you should be able to paste it onto the original footage - just ensure that your there is conformity for the following - frame rate, PAR (pixel aspect ratio) and screen resolution. Additionally, ensure that the initial frame where you started your track in mocha matches the frame where you will paste the mocha data onto in AE.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]