Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Problem with shadows (pic)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Hannes PaulssonProblem with shadows (pic)
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:07:20 pm

This is a problem I've encountered before; shadows looks weird when using "collapse transformation".
Have a look at this picture:

http://stalofilm.se/dump/why.png

The graph is two layers, one behind the other in z-space. When precomposing and cheking the "collaps transformation"-box and then adding a light to the main comp, it looks like this. All the "accept shadows" and "cast shadows" boxes have been checked.

It doesnt matter what bpc I use.
Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Hannes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Problem with shadows (pic)
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:38:44 pm

It's the dreaded AE shadow problem that has been around for eons. If your comp/layers aren't too complex then try using a point light instead of a spotlight. This may help but not always.

Another possible solution is to move your layers further apart from each other. It seems like layers close to each other have a higher tendency to exhibit this artefact.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: Problem with shadows (pic)
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:03:06 pm

This tends to happen when layers are too close together. So try Roland's suggestion of moving them a little farther apart. You probably won't have to move them too much.

Also you can increase the size of your Shadow Map, which generally helps to decrease the jaggies in any shadows. It will also increase your render time though. This option is in Composition Settings > Advanced then the "Options" button next to the Advanced 3D renderer.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:43:26 am

[Darby Edelen] "So try Roland's suggestion of moving them a little farther apart. You probably won't have to move them too much."

Yup, move them apart in Z-position coupled with a Scale change to keep size as per the original.

[Darby Edelen] "Also you can increase the size of your Shadow Map, which generally helps to decrease the jaggies in any shadows. It will also increase your render time though. This option is in Composition Settings > Advanced then the "Options" button next to the Advanced 3D renderer."

I've never found this to help much with this problem Darby. Have you had success with this?

RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hannes PaulssonRe: Problem with shadows (pic)
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 8:52:50 am

I've already tried increasing the shadow-map, but that didn't do much difference.

Since this is for a tv-show and I'll have to do pretty much the same thing about a gazillion times, I think I'm just gonna go with dropshadows on the layer styles instead (even though they give another bug, track mattes doesnt work).

There's way to many bugs in this program.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:55:43 pm

[Hannes Paulsson] "Since this is for a tv-show and I'll have to do pretty much the same thing about a gazillion times, I think I'm just gonna go with dropshadows on the layer styles instead (even though they give another bug, track mattes doesnt work)."

Do take note that layer styles inhibit interaction within applicable 3D layers.

[Hannes Paulsson] "There's way to many bugs in this program."
The shadow thingy is a major bug that's been around for about 5 years, at least, IIRC. It looks like 'Macrodobe' are more than happy to support the middle ground but aren't interested in the lower and higher market segments from the industry's outputs.

But with professional work pushed upwards in terms of technical requirements, it looks like AE is quickly losing ground to Nuke. And rightly so. Other than the bugs, it's the lack of a true 3D environment and especially how 3D plugins work within a secluded 2D/3D environment.

With plugins being an essentially part of AE's production work, this anomaly, 3D effects working as 2D layers, has been a major bottleneck for creativity and productivity (where pre-rendering may occasionally solve issues).

Purchasing companies and bundling high-end software is moot if Adobe isn't willing to spend resources to build a truly viable 3D environment for its users

RoRK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]