Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Double-clicking comp resizes image?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kyle SowdenDouble-clicking comp resizes image?
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 10:22:09 pm

So this is probably a basic question, but it's bugging me.

I have AE CS5.5, I had an image, resized it to how I want, recomposed the layer and named it BG.

Everytime I open BG, it shows the whole image, not just the part that I had zoomed in on before. Any ideas?

I was following a tutorial and in the tutorial this didn't happen (although he was using CS3)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Double-clicking comp resizes image?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:10:25 am

You're probably opening the layer in the Layer panel. From After Effects Help:

"The Layer panel shows you a layer before any transforms are applied to the layer. For example, the Layer panel does not show the result of modifying the Scale property of a layer. To see a layer in context with other layers and with the results of transforms, use the Composition panel."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kyle SowdenRe: Double-clicking comp resizes image?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:25:24 pm

Ah yes, this is what i'm trying to do! But how am I to look at it in the composition panel instead of the layer panel?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:50:32 pm

Hmmm, I don't know what I might be doing wrong?
I right lick the layer and click "open composition" but it still shows me the full image, not how i've resized it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Double-clicking comp resizes image?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:32:23 pm

[Kyle Sowden] "I right lick the layer and click "open composition" but it still shows me the full image, not how i've resized it?"

I suspect that when you pre-composed, you chose "Leave all attributes in original comp." This means that your BG would be full-sized, and the scale and position attributes would remain in your original comp.

Select the BG precomp within your main comp, then Alt-drag the original footage onto the precomp's layer in the timeline panel. This will replace the BG precomp with the original media, leaving all attributes untouched.

Now, precompose it again, but this time, be sure to choose "Move all attributes into new composition" to get the behavior you're looking for.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:34:54 pm

Thankyou! This is exactly where I was going wrong!

I love these forums, everyone's so helpful ^__^

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]