Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Quadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Garrett PattenQuadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:07:17 pm

I'm looking to invest in a workstation graphics card, and trying to decide between the Quadro 4000 and Firepro V5900. It will be used primarily for After Effects, but in the future I would like to get into more 3D animation using Cinema4D as well as Maya and 3DS Max. I understand that since After Effects uses OpenGL technology, nVidia cards are supposed to perform much better than AMD cards. However, since the Firepro V5900 should significantly outperform the Quadro 4000 in 3D applications that don't rely on nVidia's technology, I was wondering how it would do in After Effects compared to the Quadro 4000. Plus the V5900 is about $200 cheaper. I can't seem to find a comparison of these two cards, especially in After Effects, so if anyone has any experience or other input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Quadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:38:57 pm

[Garrett Patten] "I understand that since After Effects uses OpenGL technology..."

AE's use of OpenGL has serious caveats -- see the docs for Render with OpenGL [link]:
Important: Because not all features of a composition can be rendered with OpenGL—and because some features that can be rendered with OpenGL are rendered with different results—you may only want to use OpenGL rendering to accelerate previews and to provide faster rendering for non-final results.

I don't know anyone who actually recommends using OpenGL for rendering. It is definitely an area where AE could use further development.

Some third party effects are capable of using GPU acceleration (separately from AE's limited OpenGL renderer), but I haven't seen any rigorous performance comparisons on different cards.

If you're going to buy a fancy graphics card, buy it specifically for the apps that can use it well. If you have a limited budget and want to get better performance on AE, forget the workstation graphics card and get gobs of RAM instead.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Garrett PattenRe: Quadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:21:22 pm

Thanks for the response Walter. I'm just looking for ways to cut down on render and preview times as much as possible. I currently have 16GB of DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 memory and a Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz processor. Eventually I will upgrade to a Sandybridge. I figured getting a workstation card would offer a considerable increase in performance over my Radeon 4890. For After Effects at least, is a workstation card not going to be all that much better than a gaming card of comparable price?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:34:25 pm

[Garrett Patten] "For After Effects at least, is a workstation card not going to be all that much better than a gaming card of comparable price?"

AE renders on the CPU, not the GPU. Except for a few specific third-party effects, the GPU will have zero effect on AE's performance.

If you want to increase AE performance, there are two approaches:
  • Brute force: add more cores, more RAM, more drives
  • System and workflow optimization: read and implement Adobe's tips for Improving performance [link]

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:54:00 pm

Thanks for the link, many things in there I haven't attempted yet. But you are saying the graphics card won't make any difference at all? Even cards with CUDA? For previews, or playing linked comps in Premiere, etc.? I will be upgrading my processor soon as well, but perhaps I will focus my card choice on whatever is natively supported in OS X so I can turn my new setup into a hackintosh.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:23:35 am

[Garrett Patten] "But you are saying the graphics card won't make any difference at all? Even cards with CUDA? For previews, or playing linked comps in Premiere, etc.? "

Right -- AE does not render on the GPU.

Premiere can use select NVIDIA GPUs for acceleration with Mercury Playback Engine (see the tech specs [link]), but this will not accelerate dynamically-linked AE comps. AE renders on the CPU.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: Quadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:34:53 pm

I would just like to confirm what Walter said: Quadro cards can do great/nearly-magical things in Premiere, but make no difference in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:54:01 am

Good to know, thanks guys. How would the V5900 compare to the Quadro in Premiere then? I think I might make the jump on a sandybridge first though, but is it going to be significantly better than my current 860? Upgrading would mean buying a new motherboard as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SzalapskiRe: Quadro 4000 vs. Firepro V5900
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:30:46 pm

For Premiere, the difference is that the Firepro would not be supported for GPU acceleration.
See this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html
The Mercury Playback Engine's wonderful performance is only with (certain) NVIDIA cards. The 4000 is one of them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]