Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Scaling a Post Suite and it's Flow

COW Forums : Creative COW podcasts

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
chadgallowayScaling a Post Suite and it's Flow
by on Jul 30, 2006 at 11:05:03 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm here to ask your advice on a couple different aspects of scaling a post operation from small to med-large to large.

Currently we have an operation creating video content for an up and coming lifestyle dot com (knock on wood). We are cutting Pro50 media shot on the SDX900. Our post suite is comprised of a couple G5s running FCP 5.1. The goal was to have all the media with us all the time despite not having the $$ for a Pro50 Deck. So the solution was to log and capture the tapes into RT Offline so that we can store all the media on an internal drive, cut the pieces we need for the site and, when ready, rent a deck for a weekend and online all the vids. At which point we can compress to Flash and hand off to the programmers. Piece 'o' cake.

Now there are questions of scalability. Demand could increase and I want to do some research to find out how/where/when to move from this flow.

1. What programs are out there to create a proper media database. Something that works with FCP to track all of the reel numbers, their contents (keywords) and runtimes. Something searchable. Maybe have web posting abilities? Is there anything other then Excel?

2. There is a possibility of moving to the HVX and Fire Store drives. This would eliminate the need to log and capture but we would loose our RT Offline process. With everything in online Pro50 or HD we would run out of space in a week. What networked media storage options should I be looking at? Is it a server I should consider or would it be something more specific for FCP?

Any names you could throw me would be very much appreciated. I want to research as many options as possible and would love to hear all that you guys have to say.

I mean, how do the big doc shows like Amazing Race and Survivor track and manage all of their media? What do you guys do?

Chad
http://www.chadgalloway.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LindeboomRe: Scaling a Post Suite and it's Flow
by on Jul 31, 2006 at 1:24:06 pm

Check out MediaFiler, it is a database program written just for this purpose. There is a review of it here in the Cow that you can find here.

If you ask this question in the Business Procedures & Marketing forum, there are people there who use FileMaker and may have a file set-up that they will give you if you own FileMaker.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chadgallowayRe: Scaling a Post Suite and it's Flow
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 12:02:26 am

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a read right now!

C

--
Chad Galloway
http://www.chadgalloway.com
chadgalloway@gmail.com
--

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter