Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Future little company SAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Julien MoyaFuture little company SAN
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 4:05:19 pm

Hi, I'm new here so just tell me if I break any rules or do something wrong !

I just get out of school, had my degree in television production. And Within 2-3 years me and my friend want to start a production company. I currently working in few places that have SAN storage, and I think that it's very useful. At school we had Nas but It was always a mess to work on the same file.

So I decide to start getting info about the type of SAN, I read a lot of post here and article by Bob Zelin (which seems to be a master in this subject). But now that I seems to know a little more about this I have few questions just to be really sure !

My situation : I will have 3 workstation running final cut, after effect and probably smoke or Nuke.

In my head It look like this :

My question is : Do I Need raid card and what is the use ?

Question #2 : After my research I think that an Ethernet will be a good choice and the fiber is too expensive for me

Question #3 : Do I Need a server license for the server computer or any computer will do the job ?

And last question : I will probably need a software to manage all this, at my job we use SanMP is this the right choice for me ?

P.S Sorry for my poor english, I'm from montreal and I need little practice !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sareesh SudhakaranRe: Future little company SAN
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:38:23 am

What kind of RAID are you looking at? What kind of files will you be transferring? What kind of read/write speeds are you looking at? Are you planning on a gigabit Ethernet or just 'Ethernet' (100Mbps) or 10 gbE?

By using a NAS, you can eliminate the extra server, cause it's usually in-built. It's also simpler to trouble-shoot. What specific problems did you have with the NAS at school?

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Julien MoyaRe: Future little company SAN
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 6:22:26 am

I will edit some pro res 422 HQ footage ! so the write read speed is about what ? 25mbit/s ?

I don't really know what kind of raid is the best solution for me that's why I'm here,

And the big problem at school was that only one person can work on a project, otherwise the projet was blocked on the other computer ! I want the possibility to be more than one on a single project !

And will probably use gigabit Ethernet ! Is it okay ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sareesh SudhakaranRe: Future little company SAN
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:01:40 pm

Prores HQ is 220 Mbps or 100 GB/hour. A full project should fit inside a 2 TB drive.

Three streams of it is 660 Mbps or 82.5 MB/s. A consumer grade Hard drive at 7,200 rpm will give 100 MB/s, no sweat.

Now comes the big question: is your data on any project really big enough to warrant 2 TB of source material?

If not, then you're better off with a 1 TB drive on each machine. If you want greater speed, then you can RAID 1 two SSD drives.

For your cache/temp/page drive, you can use a PCIe SSD or a couple of small 7,200 rpm drives in RAID 0 on each machine.

If yes, and you are doing heavy work with multiple reads and a few writes, then take a look at RAID 5/6, on a NAS.

What happened in school has nothing to do with the NAS architecture. NAS is fine. Here's an example in RAID 1/5.

You'll need a gigabit (1 Gbps) Ethernet network - it's not a problem.

Just remember, RAID is not backup. You'll still need to backup your files on separate drives, preferably off-site.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]