Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob ZelinArticle: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:12:14 pm

NAB Expo
Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide OpenZelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open

Industry leader, visionary, and wielder of baseball bats and shotguns Bob Zelin takes a look at the world through NAB-colored glasses and sees that, from now on, anything goes.

Editorial, Feature   06/19/2012
Author: Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

Chris HarlanRe: Article: NAB 2012: A Wide Open Future
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22:51 pm

Great roundup. Loved the last line, to which, I can only add, "Indeed."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Bob ZelinRe: Article: NAB 2012: A Wide Open Future
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 11:29:28 pm

yea - do we really trust Apple to actually deliver a "new" Mac Pro in 2013. I certainly don't.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Bob Zelin's NAB 2012: A Wide Open Future
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 10:15:19 am

Hey Bob,

Yes, great write up. Not sure about the whole Smoke thing - after a historical bruising experience with loosing my beloved edit* I just don't want to go back there. However, I am interested in your opinion on Lightworks and their new business model?

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris BorjisRe: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:16:55 pm

great article, thanks Bob!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jason careyRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:53:05 pm

I have been using MC 6 and frankly I think it stinks.. its slow, and does not do simple 64 bit stuff like background rendering or GPU stuff. I would not write off FCP quite yet..but frankly, Media composer really dissapoints me. Its buggy and the interface is creaky as hell. It takes 8 seconds to create a new bin.. The nesting paradigm is old and still terrible. and AMA is weak.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt GottshalkRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:35:16 pm

Totally the opposite of my experience on MC 6 running on a self-built Windows 7 PC.

Fast, stable, AMA works well, although for quickest editing you will want to transcode to DnXHD.

Avid's #1 media management is something Adobe could learn a thing or to about.

I edit Red 4k, P2, XDCam, and DSLR footage all day on it and it works well.

McGee Digital Media Inc.
24P HD Production and Post
http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:12:45 pm

AVID Media Composer 6 is great and stable. I have always seen comments like this my entire career - "AVID sucks, only CMX is good" - then "FCP sucks, on AVID is good" - and now "Premiere 6 sucks, only FCP is good". Everyone learns "their" program, and then everything else sucks. I see this in every aspect of our business (only pro tools is good, only Grass Valley switchers are good" etc.).

No one wants to learn something new. That is where all these silly comments come from.

MC 6 with AJA Kona LHi on a Mac Pro - can't beat it (but Premier 6 is kick ass). Anything but FCP X !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:40:26 pm

Bob-

Thanks so much for the report.

Next time, less politeness, more caps lock now that I am mature enough to handle it.

Enjoyed your NAB interview with Mitch, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 23, 2012 at 9:19:07 am

Hey you guys, I clicked on your forum by accident instead of my usual Media 100. I've been editing on Media 100 for over fifteen years now and can't understand why it never gets mentioned. Now Boris has it and has engineered all the updates it will surely do everything an editor needs. Boris Red is attached for all the fancy stuff. Don't grumble about FCP, try Media 100! Apple ditching the MacPro is a big grumble if it really happens. Half the world's graphics industry use them - surely Apple can't do that, even if they don't make a huge amount out of them.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Afsheen AzizRe: Article: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:14:39 pm

Totally the opposite of my experience on MC 6 running on a self-built Windows 7 PC.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronn KilbyRe: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:22:52 pm

Regarding the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2: "If you already own the earlier version of these products, which used to record uncompressed only, you can add these new formats with a free software download." I'm pretty sure this is not true. The original version only records uncompressed and there is no upgrade available.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim Wilson@Ronn Kilby
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59:55 pm

Hi Ron, you're right that this is a little ambiguous. While there are a number of other upgrades available for HyperDeck Shuttle 1 owners, including timecode and SDI triggering, the free format upgrade is for people who own HyperDeck Shuttle 2.

We'll edit the article to reflect that.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronn Kilby@Tim Wilson
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:16:00 pm

Thanks Tim. I didn't want anyone to make the mistake I did 2 weeks ago - I bought the shuttle version 1 (about half the price of version 2) then realized before I even opened it that it only did uncompressed and could not be upgraded. I returned it to B&H and paid the difference to get version 2. Now it looks like you can't even buy the version 1. But just in case, I thought it best to be clear in that regard.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian Liuzzi-FedunRe: Zelinizing NAB 2012! Bob Zelin: The Future is Wide Open
by on Jul 19, 2012 at 6:42:27 pm

We're talking about that Magma unit which they stole from another company - yeah that one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]