Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

Slow random I/O performance in Windows 2008 R2 with Qlogic 2560

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Xavryn SinghiSlow random I/O performance in Windows 2008 R2 with Qlogic 2560
by on May 2, 2012 at 7:02:44 pm

We have a server with 2x Qlogic QLE 2560 8-Gb fibre NIC's connected to a IBM DS8700 SAN and are having some performance issues in Windows 2008 R2, specifically with random I/O

These servers were running Windows 2003 SP2 and getting good random i/o performance. We measured this with IOMeter & CrystalDiskMark

This server was migrated to windows 2008 r2 (clean install) and the random i/o performance and latency dropped by 60%-80%. The performance of our application is impacted due to this.

We have installed the latest firmware and windows drivers and checked this several times.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ModicaRe: Slow random I/O performance in Windows 2008 R2 with Qlogic 2560
by on May 3, 2012 at 1:08:03 pm

Running gross tests like disk benchmarks only tells you a little about the problem.
Ideally, you'd have something that let you look at individual IOs so you could see their latency and size.
For example, perhaps in the new OS, you aren't getting the same IO size as before. That might be a simple tuning issue. Perhaps you are running out of a disk IO resource after a short period (you would see the IOs stay fast and large, but perhaps stop coming as rapidly since they are queuing up for buffers to allocate).

On Mac OS X, there's dtrace, so you can gather a lot of information like this. I'm not a windows guy.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan EasonRe: Slow random I/O performance in Windows 2008 R2 with Qlogic 2560
by on May 18, 2012 at 9:28:59 pm

Sounds like you will need to re-tune the system. I would start with narrowing down the i/o paths to single routes and perform a baseline benchmark with ONE tool. Windows Server has built-in Performance Monitoring or there is Process Monitor that you can download via the Windows Sysinternals website. I prefer Process Monitor becuase it is easier to use. If you have both environments running it should be relatively easy to isolate areas of latency within your applications.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]