Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SAN:SAN ForumSAN TutorialsApple Xsan Forum

uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob Zelinuncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:58:24 pm

Well, we just got this working. Thanks to Creative Cow member Nick Hasson, we just interconnected his MAC SMOKE system with his other MAC, and he can transfer uncompressed HD over 10Gig ethernet with no issue - AND WITHOUT XSAN, or any other crap. We should have a solution for multiple workstations very very very very soon.

And thank you Nick Hasson for allowing me to make you the guinea pig, and thank you for being part of Creative Cow.

Creative Cow Rocks !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt GeierRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 9:11:51 pm

Good stuff --- What's the config? :)

That said -- I should talk about this -- http://news.creativecow.net/story/863135

Small Tree to Preview Next Generation Storage System at Macworld Expo 2010

This PR discusses Small Tree's work around FCoE. (Fibre Channel over Ethernet)

Matt G
Small Tree

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg LeuenbergerRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 2:16:43 am

Great! Glad I held out on storage during 09'. Looking forward to what you guys put together, maybe I'll swing by MacWorld.

-Greg

Greg Leuenberger
CEO
Sabertooth Productions, Inc.
http://www.sabpro.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

nick hassonRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:45:06 pm

Happy to be the guinea pig! It truly has changed the workflow for me! Not only can I pull uncompressed media between machines, but transferring media to external drives flies, while i'm still editing on the smoke.

Not only do I thank Bob for helping me with the setup, My girlfriend does as well. I might be home for dinner from now on! And she likes that!

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon BlackledgeRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:16:06 am

So basically you just put a 10GigE card in each machine and direct connected ?

s

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:17:43 am

yes, and setup the network menus. All Small Tree hardware.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg LeuenbergerRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:19:48 am

Dropping the need for a switch is a pretty big cost savings.

-Greg

Greg Leuenberger
CEO
Sabertooth Productions, Inc.
http://www.sabpro.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:04:50 am

we are only connecting TWO systems.
If you need to connect multiple systems, you will still need a dedicated server, and a way to distribute (meaning a switch).

We are working on an "alternate method" which should BLOW PEOPLE AWAY. But always remember, when you have a modern drive array that operates at 600Mb/sec, and each stream of uncompressed HD is around 200Mb/sec, you are only going to get 3 streams of uncompressed HD - switch or no switch. To get up to 1200Mb/sec (for 6 streams of uncompressed HD), the array needs to be configured totally differently, and this will cost a LOT more money.

You dont' get something for free. ProRes422 and DVCProHD (and AVID DNxHD and RED 4K) are miracle compression codecs, that allow for multiple streams of compressed HD. But for those purists that want uncompressed HD, 10 Gig/Fibre or whatever - there ain't no miracle. Bandwidth is bandwidth, and if you need a drive array that is going to go SUPER fast (like 1200Mb/sec or faster), this is not cheap.

I laugh when I see the guys that want to do shared storage for $600 bucks. They haven't a clue as to what is involved - even when it is done "on the cheap".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason MyresRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:39:11 pm

We have been experimenting with 10Gb Ethernet as well. We rent a lot of remote edit stations and we've been looking for ways to connect them to an archive station for storing and transcoding RED files.

If we attach a large array (usually a Maxx Expando or Active XRaid) to the archive station, we've been able to successfully share out the array via SMB to the edit station for cutting dailies. We are still refining it, but in some preliminary testing we are getting 300-400 MB/s between the two machines. Set-up is dead simple. Just give each machine a fixed IP on the same subnet, and away you go.

JM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BlairRe: uncompressed HD using 10 gig Ethernet
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:50:16 am

Jason Myres: Set-up is dead simple. Just give each machine a fixed IP on the same subnet, and away you go.

This is what I love about ethernet based video storage. Of course, you have to have servers and arrays that have proven able to handle the latency issues that video/audio present, but other than that, it's SOOO much easier to implement than SAN solutions.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]