Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Getting a "Film Look" with the HVX200A

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lawrence RichardsGetting a "Film Look" with the HVX200A
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:07:53 pm

Hello All,

I know this is a question that has been around for awhile. I've done some searches but the only articles I've found on the subject that include any setting suggestions are for the HVX200 and from what I've read these settings won't apply to the 200A.
I am getting the sense though that shooting at 24fps @1/60 is where I need to start. Any suggestions you can offer with the camera setting and/or FCP filters would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Getting a "Film Look" with the HVX200A
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35:52 am

SHoot 720p 24pN.

And the key to getting the film look is LIGHTING. Not filters. If you light like they do on feature films, you'll get the film look.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew SonnenfeldRe: Getting a "Film Look" with the HVX200A
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:00:54 pm

As Shane said, 720p 24pN. This will also double your recording time on your P2 cards.

On top of that though, make sure you are set to FILM CAM and don't think shutter speed, think shutter angle. You want a 180 degree shutter basically at all times. Then if you must deal with shutter speeds, you want 1/48. If you are used to shooting on a DSLR, you would typically use 1/50 because that is closest to 1/48 for 24p.

Also, shooting in Cinelike D will give you the widest dynamic range with the flattest image.

And then yes, LIGHTING!

Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lawrence RichardsRe: Getting a "Film Look" with the HVX200A
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:56:46 pm

Hello again,

I can really use some clarification on the relationship of the 180 degree shutter angle and the shutter speed. I've been moving away from shooting 30fps and more towards 24fps. So far all has worked out well but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to make what I shoot look better?

My current settings are the following:

SCENE FILE
Operation Type = Film Cam
Frame Rate = 24fps
Syncro is set to 180.0d

RECORDING SETUP
Rec FormatP2 = either 1080i/24p or 720P/24PN

*No here's where my issue lies*

What do I do with the Shutter button? Do I leave it off and on the default of 1/50 since that's the closest to 1/48 I can seem to find? Or do I turn the shutter on? And if I do turn it on do I just leave it alone where it just comes up as SHUTTER 180.0d?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy