Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Use of Shot Put Pro on Mac Book Pro -- how many processors to specify?

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bill ParsonsUse of Shot Put Pro on Mac Book Pro -- how many processors to specify?
by on May 20, 2012 at 1:35:01 pm

I am using a newly purchases Panasonic HPX250 and finding it superb for my uses. I have received invaluable help with downloading on another thread in this forum.

I now have a question about P2 cards and Shot Put Pro.

I have purchased Shot Put Pro, as suggested in an earlier posting series, and it is speedy and comprehensive -- if not intuitive. The User Manual is the poster child for spare documentation.

I am using a MacBookPro 15" from May, 2010 with the, then, new i7 chip. There is this about the machine:

"The Core i5 and i7 processors have a few interesting performance features, including Hyper-Threading, which uses virtual cores to double the amount of processing cores presented to the operating system. The processors have dual cores, but OS X treats them as having four cores. Another i5/i7 technology, Turbo Boost, allows the processor to speed up for a short period of time when necessary, or shut down unused cores and give the resources to the cores in use. Turbo Boost can increase the clock speed of the 2.4GHz Core i5 processor up to 2.93GHz, for example."

What I would like to know is where to set the concurrent processing counter in SPP. Do I set it for 2 processors or 4?

Many thanks.

Best regards, Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Use of Shot Put Pro on Mac Book Pro -- how many processors to specify?
by on May 21, 2012 at 9:27:26 pm

Shoot an email to Imagine Products.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill ParsonsRe: Use of Shot Put Pro on Mac Book Pro -- how many processors to specify?
by on May 29, 2012 at 1:30:40 pm

Steve, thanks for the entirely logical and simple suggestion (why can't I think of things like that?).
I emailed SPP and got an ambiguous answer to try multiple settings of the processor number and see what the results are. They said that this setting does not refer to the number of cpu's in the computer, but rather to the number of files to move at a time.

I have used 1 (no-brainer, there) and 2, but for different projects of course just to see if 2 worked. I'll try a small data set and vary this setting to see what kind of results I get, and will report here.

Regards to all, Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wolf AustadRe: Use of Shot Put Pro on Mac Book Pro -- how many processors to specify?
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:34:03 pm

If a Hard Drive is involved in the transfer, set it to 1.
If you are using SSD runner drives and downloading from flash memory cards, set it to the number of CPU cores on your computer.

At least that has worked for me, although with variable results.
I mostly leave it at 1, though.

SSD runner drives on a fast interface will make you CPU limited for MD5 checksums, hence the need to optimize. Particularly if you are downloading from a recording device that records to individual frames like DPX, or RAW time-lapse. For P2 download your runner drives could choke your CPU on the read back, but your P2 reader never will (until Panasonic decides to make a P2 reader that's faster.)

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]