Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

P2 HD soft focus

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michele NovakP2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:56:10 pm

I'm shooting HD w/a Panasonic HPX500P, Fuji XA17x7.6 lens,SDI out to a Panasonic monitor,BL-LH1710P. Looks great while recording! P2 store transfer to LaCie hard drives.When viewed in Final Cut,7.0.3,some images are soft. Any ideas? Michele

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:19:05 am

[Michele Novak] ".When viewed in Final Cut,7.0.3,some images are soft. Any ideas?"

Got that Panasonic monitor connected to the system? Via a capture card? If not, you are seeing a lower res option than normal. The FCP Canvas and Viewer aren't good placed to judge the quality of your image.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michele NovakRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:00:39 pm

What system and capture card are you referring to?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:08:37 pm

SYSTEM: Final Cut Pro.

Capture card...well, there are many options. AJA, BlackMagic Design, MOTU, Matrox. Video capture cards that send a video signal out to an HDTV or broadcast monitor. You can't do this without a card, unless you are working with DV.

Output from FCP via a capture card to an HDTV will show you what your footage really looks like.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave FelderRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:40:22 pm

I don't know if this is you're problem, but I'll share what happened to me:

The focus ring on the HPX500 is easy to accidentally move when you're zooming. I had a very accomplished, experienced camera man do this on a shoot and about half our footage looked soft.

In our case, the person being recorded was soft, and the background was sharp. It was an outdoor shoot, in bright sunlight. It was next to impossible to see the issue on an external Marshall monitor. We checked, then double checked the backfocus on the lens and it was perfect. I did a little research and found several cameramen who said they've had similar problems.

IOW, be careful when you zoom not to touch your focus ring.

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michele NovakRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:52:18 pm

Thats a good point,so I tried to duplicate this and found that I had to hold my hand in an awkward position to make this happen. Also we were in the studio w/o glare on the monitor.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: P2 HD soft focus
by on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:09:58 am

[Dave Felder] "The focus ring on the HPX500 is easy to accidentally move when you're zooming"

I have to say, I have never had a problem with my HPX500 or any other full size camera I have owned or used where my hand on the focus ring made the camera go out of focus by accident.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]