Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stephen SnowCannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:02:05 am

Hi Folks,

I am relatively new to P2 footage, and very new to the PANASONIC AG-HPX250P. I think my problem may be as simple as a camera setting, but I am not sure what's up.

On the camera, in MENU> OTHER FUNCTIONS the 1394 CONTROL option is "blue'd out," which makes it non-accesible, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it accessible. The 1394 CMD SEL menu option also has "REC_P" blue'd out. I've been trying to figure this ut for hours and I see no posts or help anywhere!

Can someone PUHLEASE HELP?

I'm an old FCP user, now working with Adobe Premiere CS5 (b/c Apple didn't do well with FC X). But that's not my problem. I can't get FCP to recognize the clips in "LOG and CAPTURE" either b/c of the issues mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 11:26:57 am

Please look-up the "Tapeless Workflow" Tuturial by Shane Ross here on the Cow.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:13:17 pm

[Stephen Snow] " I can't get FCP to recognize the clips in "LOG and CAPTURE" either b/c of the issues mentioned above."

You do not use log and capture with P2. You use log and transfer in FCP. Premiere also has its own workflow.

Like Chris said, search for tapeless workflow for P2.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 6:16:56 pm

Here:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SnowRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 24, 2011 at 10:23:42 am

Chris and Steve,

I'm sorry , I did not in fact use Log and Capture I used Log and Transfer. Nothing is being recognized at all, in either Premiere or FCP (6.0.6, not 7). I've worked with P2 footage before, but I've got nothin' here.

Chris, I think Ive installed the right driver, also tried the viewer, which doesn't work.

Here's the link I used. https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/download/DownloadRequest.do
I've installed both AVC-Intra Decoder for MAC
(AVC-Intra to QuickTime transcoder software for FinalCutPro)

and

AVC-Intra Encoder for Compressor (Mac)
(QuickTime file to AVC-Intra)
encoder plug-in for Apple Compressor

and

AVCCAM Viewer for Mac

Very odd. Rather frustrating.

Also, I am not sure why the 1394 control option disappears when I'm in AVC mode on the camera. The manual says it isn't available, but they don't say why.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:02:42 pm

I am not sure that I've been clear at all about all of this. The P2 does not even show up (mount) on my desktop. It simply isn't recognized by anything. The closest i can get to "movement" is that Premiere (not FCP) manages to play and pause the camera. And yet it does not work in any way other than that. FCP sees nothing, and the P2 codec/FCP translator doesn't even show up as an option in Log and Transfer . . .

Tired and frustrated by this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 24, 2011 at 2:09:53 pm

It sounds like you are trying both - mounting/controlling the camera and importing the P2 footage.

Did you in fact view the Shane Tapeless Workflow?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Dec 24, 2011 at 5:05:21 pm

YOu need to install the AVCIntra driver in order to recognize that format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 25, 2011 at 6:56:16 am

I have done that. Still no recognition with the Lion OS. The camera doesn't even show up as a "drive" on the desktop. Quite simply, nothing happens at all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 25, 2011 at 6:54:40 am

I have tried everything. Apparently I'm not the only one having this issue. Mac, Lion OS. The camera does not mount as a "hard drive" on the desktop at all. And yeah, I've tried "both" - all and everything. There seems to be no support yet for the Mac OS and Lion with this camera. At my whit's end, basically.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam SmithRe: Cannot capture footage from PANASONIC AG-HPX250P
by on Jan 1, 2012 at 6:21:20 am

I have a HPX-500 and while I played with the first 250 I didn't get far enough to know whether they function the same for offloading... but I'd still venture to say that if you have any sort of camera control, you should not expect the P2 volumes to mount.

On my camera I have a button to switch between the 3 modes, CAM (camera), MCR (playback) and PC. MCR would be the mode I would use if I wanted to control the camera via Firewire while capturing from it like any other tape camera - either via firewire (for valid formats) or SDI etc connections to a capture card.

If I wanted to mount the P2 cards for archiving and use Log & Transfer for all the benefits of tapeless workflow, I'd put my camera into PC mode. In this case all you need is the firewire cord. The cards should automatically show up on the desktop (might take a minute). Once they are up FCP and Premiere should easily see and capture the footage. Note that in PC mode there is NO remote camera control because you're not driving the camera to pick footage, the edit software is merely browsing the contents of the P2 cards like any other disk.

One quick note! As a safety precaution, WRITE PROTECT your P2 cards before mounting. You don't want the system writing anything strange on your cards. Never had a problem here, but I've seen people who have.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]