Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gary adcockArticle: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:02:47 pm

Cinematography
Camera and Lens Round-UpCamera and Lens Round-Up

Gary Adcock explores and reviews many of the high-end cameras, lenses, monitors, and camera support gear introduced at NAB 2010 in this acquisition and display report.

Review, Feature, People / Interview   06/23/2010
Author: gary adcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mark D'AgostinoRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:22:06 pm

This is a very well written and insightful article Gary. Thanks for sharing.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:22:58 pm

Nice Job Gary!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:56:25 pm

Thanks guys

I'm just lucky

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:44:01 am

I too enjoyed Gary's article - and I know after his work lately, he's certainly HIGHLY qualified to talk about DSLR video - but out of fairness I've got to ask what this particular story has to do with DSLR video - which is the section title

Did I miss something? I did a quick scan for anything about DSLRs and all I saw was a review of the EXTREME high end of current digital imagemaking.

I have questions as to whether the guy shopping the Arri price range has a huge interest in the 5d Mk ii - and vice versa.

I guess it can be argued that you could purchase a RED than grab half a dozen 5d's as "B" cameras - but this is specifically a DSLR board subsection.

I've got to wonder whether there are a lot of folks in this particular discussion that will EVER be in the category to even RENT one of the camera's reviewed.

It seems it would be better placed in some kind of High End Cinematography in general area?

Just food for thought.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:42:15 am

Bill,
I do not disagree, but my sub head here says camera and lens roundup- my version does not come up with a dslr header. ( I did talk about the Red Rock AF unit, but that was about it..

Ga.

gary adcock
Studio37

Technology Development

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:20:13 am

Hi Gary. Hope all is well.

My comment wasn't a knock. The info was very useful. Perhaps you've configured your Cow reader differently from mine. On mine, this particular forum is itself specifically labeled DSLR video - and my supposition is that many of the folks who come here for info are either participants or specifically interested in that specific topic.

Nobody gets hurt by being exposed to more info. Just wanting to keep the experience of the Cow clear as possible.

Hope all is well in Chicago - and I hope to see you again at a future trade show.

Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:03:35 am

Bill,
I did not take issue with your comments at all. Commentary is always welcome, that's why we do this stuff, to share and to learn. I am as guilty as everyone else is about not always "seeing" beyond my own experience, I am just lucky enough to have a more varied technology experiance than a lot of people.
Keep it up, commentary is welcome.

gary adcock
Studio37

Technology Development

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:17:50 am

Thanks for the note about the article tag, Bill. Editorial boo-boo. I'll fix that.

Be sure to check out the article by Bob Primes, ASC in this issue of the magazine. He focused heavily on the Mk II, and it's implications for the future of cinematography. He also observed that it was one of the hottest cameras at the show. :-)

Also, re: expense: true, but the assumption for these cameras is that you rent them, not buy them. Unless you're Gary! Kidding...but we asked him to write this specific article because we'd never seen anyone attempt anything even vaguely similar before, either in scale or scope. We also know that he's uniquely qualified to write about not just the cameras but also the lenses, and the related tools and tech.

And frankly, I was just curious about the state of the art. Again, Gary is the man for this. Not just lucky, but good...and a good writer! You'll be seeing a lot more of him in Creative COW Magazine, so check back soon.....

tw

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54:40 pm

Also, re: expense: true, but the assumption for these cameras is that you rent them, not buy them. Unless you're Gary! Kidding..

Actually I don't own more than prosumer cameras at this time I have an EX and an old HVX200 but I do own my a good deal of my own glass which has always been the expensive part of any camera rental.

Otherwise Tim is correct, with these tools you are often better to rent rather than own do to cost- other than the Epic and the Alexa most of these cameras are in the over 100K USD range. I try to be acquisition agonistic, as so many of the people I work with prefer one system over another, so I stay qualified on all of the cameras I can, from the DSLR's all the way up to 35mm film (thanks to Bob Primes ASC).

gary adcock
Studio37

Technology Development

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockPanasonic's AG-3DA1 an update..
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:00:15 pm

One other thing.

Just last week I got a much closer look at Panny's 3D with some insight from my good friend Steve M and I have to say that they have done a huge amount of work with that camera in the couple of months since NAB. While there is still issue with the 60mm inter-occular distance and photographing anything much closer than about 8ft away, this camera will carve quite a niche for itself, there are no closeups (the camera does have closes focus at less than 1 meter)

I cannot wait to test one of these cameras-

gary adcock
Studio37

Technology Development

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:00:35 pm

For me the ARRI Alexa was the most exciting new camera at NAB this year - to be able to shoot ProRES 4444 natively and just start editing would be a dream after doing a DSLR feature lol. It's on the top of our list for our next feature for sure.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 8:24:37 pm

If you haven't already seen this around the COW, you'll see specific mention of the Alexa as by far the most talked-about camera at the show, Lance, with the reason you mentioned near the top of the list. Bob Primes, ASC also mentions it prominently. I have No doubt that we're going to be hearing lots, lots more about this....

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:08:21 pm

I agree with you Lance,

It was one of my picks for NAB- Tim and I are working on a special Alexa surprise for everyone, I am lucky enough to have seen the camera up close and cannot wait to talk about it.
k

gary adcock
Studio37

Technology Development

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter PollardRe: Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:41:36 pm

Gary, Well done!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael LockeRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 6:42:48 pm

I'm just a baby with a DSLR and a dream. But coming from the bicycle industry, it's so nice to hear practical application values rather than just "Wow, new, cool...".This is a noble grass roots site.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James HiltonRe: Article: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 9:04:16 am

Thanks for the article Gary. The future for the SRW-9000SR looks very interesting and I do like the idea of upgrade parts having come from film, where a camera's life can last for years and years with a few "tweaks" and "upgrades".

Is the Super 35mm CCD option available right now or not, I was (maybe incorrectly) under the impression it was something coming in the future (maybe 2011) and not available right now for purchase?

Of particular interest to me is how the Sony SR solid state recording pack will pan out too. According to the Sony website it is due in 2011, so not too long now. I really am keen to see what Sony will pull off, and what media it will use. Will it just be a bunch of solid state HDDs together in an array in a unit or will it be on some form of removable media – regardless there are exciting times ahead.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 4:43:29 pm

[James Hilton] "Is the Super 35mm CCD option available right now or not, I was (maybe incorrectly) under the impression it was something coming in the future (maybe 2011) and not available right now for purchase?"

JH,

it is my understanding that there is one or 2 of the 9000's that have been configured to accept PL lenses already. I do not believe that they have many of them on the market yet, but IBC is 6 weeks away. I would expect to hear something about availability then.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PalmerRe: Camera and Lens Round-Up
by on Jul 31, 2010 at 4:20:29 pm

Gary,

Very nice of you to put this together, really great.

Many Thanks

Michael Palmer

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]