Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael SpearsWhen are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:47:57 am

Maybe I've missed something, but shouldn't the 128gb p2 cards be here by now?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:41:32 pm

64GB and 32GB cards have been working great for me. I don't see a need for 128 GB P2 cards.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:30:06 pm

Yeah the phrase too many eggs in one basket comes to mind...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SpearsRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:30:12 pm

That's a good point about too many eggs.
I'm primarily a wedding videographer, and you can see the appeal of having 4 hours of 1080p recording time without changing cards.
Do you think that would be risky, are p2 cards known to fail? I was under the impression that they're super realiable, maybe I'm wrong...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 11:44:58 pm

What type of weddings are you going to that are lasting 4 hours!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:28:27 am

I'm shooting from start of ceremony (2 or 3pm) till 10pm at the reception with 2 cameras! So I'd probably use 3-4 hours on each camera per wedding.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 3:56:12 pm

If you are shooting that much for a wedding, look at the 64gb P2 cards as an investment. At $900 per card, you should easily be able to get your return on investment by shooting at least a few weddings. Think about how much money you would be spending if you were using tape. Please don't say that you would reuse the tape. Why risk the chance of dropouts on someone's special day.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:34:59 pm

Yes, I don't reuse tapes. I have a couple of hundred tapes archived. I'm currently shooting in SD on MiniDV and dreaming of going HD the panasonic way.
If looking at P2 eventually breaking even with the cost of tape, it'll take a LONG time to break even: if I were to go full HD, I'd need at least 8 x 64gb P2 cards for a 2 camera wedding. That's 8 x $900 = $7200.
currently I buy 150 MiniDV tapes for $401 = $2.67 each.
At 8 tapes per wedding (maximum), that's $21.39 in tapes per wedding.
You can see how many weddings I'd have to do before I'd break even (336!).
But that's when comparing with tape, and granted, if I shot 720pN, I'd need less than 8 P2 cards for a wedding...plus I'm upgrading to HD!...I'm not just getting the same result, and trying to break even.
Oh how I dream!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nate StephensRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:18:55 pm

Michael, I got the HVX200, three years ago and the HPX500 two years ago and I do more shooting in DV than HD every month. I try to remind clients that I shoot HD but these Government oriented clients just want DV grade. Everynow in then I slip and shoot DVCpro.

What you will notice with the HVX and HPX P2 cameras is that even DV grade looks better than tape. No tape noise, never. And DVCpro is amazing clean. (Yes HD is way prettier).

But the big kicker with P2 is that you get 2+ hours on a 32GB P2 card. I have 4-32GB and 2-16GB P2 cards and I have yet to run out. ( I have a portable download station, never needed to use it)

And you don't have to worry about the tape being up to speed.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marco RuggioRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:56:15 pm

Why not answer the question rather than be skeptical of the use? What if they DON'T shoot weddings? When are the cards coming out? Perhaps someone wants to use the cards for high res editorial outputs. They may be the perfect thing to shuttle material to and from a facility without having to spend 50k on a deck that will be worth 50.00 in a few years. Obviously, you haven't a clue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helmut KoblerRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 8:39:46 pm

I asked Panasonic about this at NAB, and got the sense that they were still debating whether 128GB cards were necessary. I have a bunch of 64GB cards and am quite happy with the capacity (my camera takes 5 at a time). If you need more than that, Panasonic might argue that you should invest in the upcoming MSU10, which is a single card reader with a user-installable solid-state hard drive. When in the field, you can dump cards quickly and easily off to the solid-state drive, and then reuse the P2 cards themselves.

If anything, I'd just like to see P2 cards get cheaper, rather than bigger.

As for card reliability, I've never, ever had a problem with a P2 card, and I've been shooting P2 since early 2006.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HarringtonRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:39:17 pm

720p 24pn is way to go. Looks great on web and Blu-ray. Price check HD tape. You're also ignoring the savings of having to load all that tape. We charge clients 75 per camera per day to use cards. A good deal all around since that's the cost of an E2 to load 1 hour of tape.

Loading cards takes time but MUCH less than tape c

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:06:34 am

Ahh that's the type of info I was after: something from panasonic themselves! Thanks Helmut.
Also, I agree: maybe the price of P2 coming down would be better than getting a 128gb one (which would probably be the price of 1 arm and 1 leg!)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: When are the 128gb p2 cards arriving?
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 11:37:39 pm

Maybe you should think about the HMC150 that shoots to SD cards. It's a different quality though.

If going P2 and not CF, then I'd shoot 720pN24. That would give you 160 minutes per 64 Gig card. Two cards per camera per wedding with time to spare.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]